[CQ-Contest] re: NAQP Power levels

Subject: [CQ-Contest] re: NAQP Power levels
From: k4ro@k4ro.net (K4RO Kirk Pickering)
Date: Thu Aug 6 09:49:37 1998
Here is my concern about amps and the NAQP, in a nutshell:

I'm worried about the few ops that DON'T watch their meters very
carefully like most of you do.  These ops may QSY, and inadvertently
now put out 300W because of the new load presented to the amp finals.
Being busy operating a contest, they may not notice it for a a QSO or
two.  If amplifiers become a requirement to be competitive in the NAQP,
this is bound to happen as everyone will start using amplifiers in the
contest.

It just seems like it's too easy to mistakenly exceed 150W with an
amp if you're not very careful.  If we are indeed talking about the
strict letter of the rules, (150W maximum period - amp or no amp)
then even one accidental QSO over the power limit, which is quite
possible, should result a checklog, yes?  We can't have it both ways.
Making NAQP "exciter only" or 100W would reduce the possibility of
having too many checklogs as a result of amplifier loading goofups.

There will always be someone with a better radio, more antennas, and so
forth, no matter who you are.  Yes the 150-200W output rigs will be used
in a 100W contest, dialed down to 100W, of course.  I would think it is
much harder to *accidentally* exceed the power limits if no amplifiers
are involved.

Contesting is about competition and honor.  I learned that from guys
like K4OJ.  It's clear that there was an era in contesting when envelope
pushing was at its highest, and accepted.  Octopuses, 2-hole 77SX's going
full-bore at winning multi-ops, etc.  I may be naively hoping that a new
era of intense log-checking and strict adherence to rules will raise the
whole competition level up another notch for all of us.  Isn't that what
we want the most, good competition?

Maybe I shouldn't worry about anyone's operating but my own.  (Say AMEN!)
I just like the contest a lot, and would hate to see amplifiers become a
requirement to be competitive in the NAQP.   I'm happy to give the thread
up for another 6 or 12 months of hibernation, then we'll wear it out all
over again. :-)  Meanwhile, I'll strive to mind my own business and just
worry about my own operating technique.

-Kirk  K4RO