[CQ-Contest] Power Level

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Power Level
From: mtope@mail1.jpl.nasa.gov (Michael Tope)
Date: Mon Aug 10 15:19:46 1998
It occured to me today that part of the problem with the power debate is lack
of a uniform convention for where power should be measured. Seems like a
simple  solution would be to specify that output power shall be measured no
farther than 5 feet after the position of the last active (power adding) RF
device in the circuit. In other words - a libertarian approach - measure the
power leaving the shack, treating the shack as a black box. What the
operator does inside the shack to generate those watts is his business.

This approach would proclude guys with long lossy coax runs from making up
for it with extra power and wattmeters at the antenna feed, but it would
still give the station designer the flexibility to lump the losses of his
TVI filters, stubs, switches, and bandpass filters into the transmitter. The
output connector  would become the intersection of the surface of an
imaginary sphere 10' in diameter centered on the last active device and the
output feedline. What goes on inside the imaginary sphere would be at the
discretion of the station owner. If a station owner runs lossy stub filters
after his amp, then he could still get legal limit power out of his shack
(all he has to do is pay for the electric and deal with the extra heat). No
one will be able to admonish a fellow operator for generating his 150 watts
of "output power" with an unconventional combination of equipment. The guy
running an old Heathkit Warrior after his Ten-Tec Argosy won't be forced to
trade it in on a $3000 radio just so he won't be called a cheater.

The choice of 5' is arbitrary - anything from 5' to 15' would serve.

73 de Mike, W4EF........
* Michael C. Tope               *
* Jet Propulsion Laboratory     *
* Section 333                   *