[CQ-Contest] Collected Headphones/Headset Wisdom

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Collected Headphones/Headset Wisdom
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Mon Aug 17 11:38:49 1998
From:
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu

Below is a compilation of  the wisdom of the reflector on the subject of
headphones and headsets. I haven't organized the messages into threads,
sorry.  Nonetheless, I hope you find this useful, as the question comes
up now and again.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

From: John Brosnahan <broz@csn.net>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Headset (w/ mic) Tips

One of my favorite interests in radio is looking for some
competitive advantage for contesting in the area of
equipment and accessories.

[One recent interest] is a headset incorporating a microphone
from Radio Shack.  It is called the Optimus PRO-50MX.  It looks a
lot like the Heil Pro as far as the type of boom for the mic and
the size of the ear pads, etc.  It differs from the Heil in two
areas (well three if you count price).  The headphones are more
hi-fi in their frequency response, whereas the Heils are more
communications.  This allows more hiss to get through from the
radio, probably adding some fatigue--but I have incorporated a
hiss filter in my system so it is a moot point for me.   On the
bottom end it covers more bass frequencies.  I like a very low
note on CW so this is an advantage.  And I guess I like my
headphones' frequency response to be capable of being tailored by
me
with external filters rather than having a pre-tailored, limited-
response style.

Same goes for the microphone.  I like the Heil HC-4 element for
its sound but it's probably preferable to have a flatter mic
element and then tailor the exact response with an external EQ.
The mic in the Radio Shack is much flatter in frequency response-
-
allowing me to EQ it whatever way I want.  Good news is that the
headset is normally $50 and is on sale at Radio Shack for only
$40 (which is 1/3 that of the Heil Pro).   A real clue about who
makes the unit is the "KOSS" molded into the 1/8' phone
connectors.  They sound good on the radio as well as on the
stereo.  Radio Shack part # 33-1135

Sometimes that competitive edge I gain is just how to save a few
bucks so I can spend it on antennas . . .  John W0UN