[CQ-Contest] Ts940 problems?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Ts940 problems?
From: W1HIJCW@aol.com (W1HIJCW@aol.com)
Date: Wed Nov 11 01:49:00 1998
In a message dated 11/10/98 07:35:31 Pacific Standard Time, mwdink@eskimo.com
writes:

>  >First of all, you have a rig problem.  I noticed it both in Sprint and SS.
>  >Your CW randomly throws occassional dots and dashed on a different
>  >frequency, about 300 Hz away from your main frequency.  It was so bad in
>  >Sprint, that it was the cause for me having to get fills from you.

Hi Dink,

There are two possible causes (and solutions). If you have a computer
interfaced to the 940 then when you are operating full QSK and the RIT is
offset from the XMIT frequency, the microprocessor in the 940 apparently
occasionally gets confused. This results in occasional transmission of a bit
(usually a single dit) being transmitted on the RIT frequency apparently at
random. The solution is to not have the computer poll the radio while the PTT
is "on". TRLog in the version I use has an option to disable polling under
that condition. Other software may not have the option.

You may also have what was known as the "split dot" problem on the 940. This
was a documented problem. I learned about it from an old article in the the
IRI (International Radio) Kenwood Newsletter from around mid-1986. According
to the newsletter, Kenwood could duplicate the problem which was due to a
software error in the radio's ROM. Also according to the newsletter the
solution implemented in at least two different radios was an "adjustment to
the PLL Unit" -- no further details. You might check with Kenwood service as
to the availability of the solution.

By the way, You can get ahold of all the old Fox Tango, IRI, and now
International Radio Newsletters from International Radio in Umpqua, OR. Their
website is www.qth.com/inrad or you can contact George, W2VJN at
inrad@rosenet.net.

Good luck/73,

Bill, W1HIJ