[CQ-Contest] Re: 160 NOISE

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: 160 NOISE
From: i4jmy@migate.n8it.ampr.org (i4jmy@migate.n8it.ampr.org)
Date: Sun Dec 6 13:46:06 1998

Hi Bob,

  I made a number of experiences on 160/80m with commercial and home made
  null steerers, but finally I decided that commercial ones, whitout a
  number of modifications or adds (i.e. filters) were not satisfactory on
  low bands and I made one, my project, that's totally passive.
  It introduces some loss (like all steerers, don't be fooled by amplifiers
  and S-meter readings, what counts is S/N ratio), partly reduced by the
  use of a 90deg delay line along the sense antenna, but doesn't suffer any
  intermod problem like it always happens on 40-80-160 in the commercial
  ones I tested.
  The attenuation of a well designed passive steerer is not too big or
  detrimental, at least for low bands, if the sense antenna delivers a
  signal that's not more than 20DB down the main antenna.
  In my steerer I added a 90deg delay line (missing in the commercial ones
  I tested) because on 80m and 160m sense and main antenna are always very
  close in term of phase distance, and without the delay, the phase null
  would be critical to obtain since phase control would be at the edge to
  produce a null.
  In such situation, tipical to commercial null steerers, to avoid a great
  attenuation there are variable amplifiers, ahead of main and sense
  antenna. The amplifier, is a cheap solution but suffers overloading and
  introduces noise.

  I found null steerers working best when both antennas have the same
  polarization and if the noise is radiated by a single source.  In a power
  line noise they are less effective if the radiation of the noise is along
  a big portion of the line and not confined in a specific point.
  The null steerers are top performer to avoid overload by local huge
  signals on same or another band, i.e. nearby contester pileupping or rag
  chewing even few KHz apart.
  Altough less effective against a specific noise, when using two non
  directional antennas I found my steerer (it should apply to commercial
  ones too) able to give a pattern on reception (but antennas have to be
  enough separated and same polarization), this was found useful to improve
  reception reducing sky/atmospherical noise.
  Of course, to have an effective array the second antenna has to be more
  than a sense one (mine is -15db compared to the transmitting one for 160m),
  but often some 20 Db of attenuation on 160m are nothing, receiving.

  73,
  Mauri I4JMY (one of IR4T)