[CQ-Contest] ZW5B (op K5ZD) CQWW CW 28 Mhz Story (longer than long)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ZW5B (op K5ZD) CQWW CW 28 Mhz Story (longer than long)
From: k5zd@ma.ultranet.com (Randy Thompson)
Date: Tue Dec 8 20:55:22 1998
                    CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1998

      Call: ZW5B (opr. K5ZD) @PY5EG   Country:  Brazil
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator
      Zone: 11                                 28 Mhz, High Power

       10     3869    11467     2.96     37     148

     Totals   3869    11467     2.96     37     148  =>  2,121,395

Operating Time: 46 hours (20 minutes sleep)

Equipment: FT-1000D + Alpha 77 to 7/7 stack @ 20m/10m

The Trip

After years of business travel in all types of domestic and foreign
conditions, I deserved one like this!  I had originally planned to visit our
parent company in Israel and do the CQWW CW from there.  At the end of
October, my boss informed me that our Brazilian distributor was holding a
conference Nov 25-27 at a resort hotel on the coast.  He felt bad that he
was asking me to be gone over Thanksgiving... but I knew I already had my
wife's clearance for the Israel trip!

I immediately thought of CQ WW CW and hit the e-mail to track down a
station.  Oms, PY5EG, gave an immediate invitation and I accepted it.  I
really wanted to do single op all band, but Oms had already promised the
station to Marcelo, PY1KN.  Jim, N5FA, was very helpful in making phone
calls and giving me some background info.  He recommended that I do 10
meters single band as there was a real chance to claim the world record.

I flew from Boston to Rio de Janeiro on Monday night Nov 23. Plane was
almost empty - everyone on board got their own row for sleeping!  Most of my
flying is East-West so it was a pleasant surprise to get off of a 10 hour
flight and not be jet lagged out (only 3 hours difference).

Spent Tuesday afternoon walking around Copacabana beach.  Nicest beach I
have ever seen and it is right in the middle of a huge city.  PY1KN lives in
Rio and we met for dinner.  It gave us a chance to get better acquainted.
Marcelo is an avid CW operator and contester who normally operates low
power.  15m is his favorite band so we had no trouble deciding who got what
band.

Wednesday I took a bus to the resort hotel where the meeting was.  All of
the first day was in Portugese, so I went horse back riding instead.
Thursday (Thanksgiving) I went sailing in the morning.  Then sat on the
beach and enjoyed a book all afternoon.  My two presentations were in the
evening and went without a hitch.  The dinner buffet even included turkey!

Friday morning I went sailing again.  Wind was fairly quiet so it was very
peaceful drifting around the bay looking for breeze.  I know that I have
NEVER been this relaxed and rested before doing a major contest.

It was 3 hours back to the airport in Rio where I met Marcelo at the
airport.  We flew together on the one hour flight to Curitiba where PY5EG is
located.  Curitiba has a beautiful new airport and Oms had someone waiting
to drive us over to his station which only takes about 20 minutes.  We
arrived there about 7:30PM local time, with the contest starting at 10PM.

Setting Up

Arriving at PY5EG is quite impressive.  You don't see any antennas on the
way.  You drive under huge electric transmission lines and wonder how you
are ever going to hear anything through the line noise.  About a half mile
up the drive way you arrive in a clearing with five towers.  Each tower
supports big big antennas that are perfectly straight.  You immediately
recognize that this is a well engineered place.

The PY5EG "shack" is a large cabanna located next to the swimming pool. It
is a 10m by 8m room with the radios in one corner.  There is a pool table in
the middle of the room (when rates get slow?...) and a fire place in one
corner.

There were two FT-1000 radios with amplifiers set up and ready to go.  Each
had  Top Ten band decoders.  Either station was wired to get to any of the
monobanders outside.  Any category would have been easy to do.

The computers had Windows 98 installed and a batch file to start CT as a
full size DOS window.  CT was version 9.10A with an old country file.  In
the rush to leave home I had forgotten to bring new CTY and Master.DTA
files.

We had just under two hours to get ready.  I listened to 10m and it sounded
really strange.  Signals were weak and fluttery from the US.  I thought it
was going to be a long weekend.

N5FA had warned me that I might want to bring a keyer if I had any special
requirements.  I didn't want to carry the extra weight and figured I would
just wing it.  The radio had a Bencher paddle wired up to the internal keyer
and a W1WEF keying interface, but you couldn't use them together.  I had
brought some cables for getting from the computer to the radio so it didn't
take long to get where the computer could send CW.  But now I needed a
keyer.

PY5CC showed up to help us get set up and pulled a Morsematci MM-3 out of a
closet.  The setup was kind of funny so I pressed the overall reset command.
Only to discover that the keyer paddles were now wired backward!  No manual
in sight.  I recalled that this keyer had a way to reverse the paddles
through the keypad, but couldn't figure out the command.  Contest starts in
30 minutes!

Above my head on a shelf were 8 rotator control boxes.  Two were marked for
20 and 40.  That left Marcelo and I trying to figure out which pair was
which for the 10 and 15 stacks.  I went outside, looked up at a pair of 8
over 8, and just "assumed" that had to the be the 10m stack.  I figured out
which box turned them and was ready to go.

With 10 minutes to go, N5FA calls on the phone to see if everything is OK.
I tell him about the MM-3 paddle problem and he says, "I have a manual for
one of those around here."  Wow, probably the only guy in the world that can
help calls me!  Command was something like *7612.  I would have never
guessed it. I couldn't figure out how to program a message into the keyer,
but decided I could just use the computer.

Marcelo set up on the second station which was about 10 feet away.  He would
have to get up to reach the rotator controls.  We were facing away from each
other so there wasn't much visual interaction between us as we were
operating.  It really was two completely independent single band efforts.
We probably shared about 10 sentences all weekend.

The Contest

Finally ready to go just as the clock ticked 23:59.  That gave me one minute
to find a frequency and start CQing.  The run was immediate even though
signals were very fluttery.  The USA East Cost was very weak.  Had a few
Carribbean stations call in that I never heard again - V47KP and FG5EY. Very
quickly the band started to go to JA. 9M2TO called in for another good mult.
Near the end of the first hour, RU0LL, DU3NXE, ZM2K, and BV4QW were some
nice surprises.

Stateside was gone after the first hour and it was mostly JAs on the band.
JA is almost at the antipode from PY5EG and N5FA had warned me that they
would come in all night.  I took a spin across the band and worked XX9X who
had a good signal and XU2A.

Around 02Z, the band went even deeper and I worked 3W5FM, HS0AC, and a weak
AT2UR.  Worked aboput 15 BV and BY stations which is more than I even knew
existed.  They had great signals!

At 03Z I snagged 8Q7DV.  A few minutes later A61AJ came in.  In between all
of this DX were more JAs.  It seemed that if I called CQ they could work me.
But with all the flutter, if I called them they could not get the call
correct. 7W5B is not right!  Only 16 QSOs this hour but they were
interesting ones. A small JA run erupted in the 04Z hour. I would tune
around occasionally and it was wild to hear an almost quiet band with things
like XZ1N and A45XR coming in.

During the 05Z hour, it seemed like the band was almost dead.  I decided to
visit some of the other bands to see what they sound like.  YCCC was really
pushing to make a big club score and I figured I could build up a few extra
points for the club.  I went to 40m from 0534-0601Z and worked 51Q/12Z/15C.
The band was packed and it was a real battle to dig out calls compared to
10m.  Decided that I better save my energy.

Back to 10m where I found CP6UH for a multiplier at 0612Z.  Not much else
around so I listened down on 80m and realized why SOAB is difficult from
deep South America.  It was noisy and signals were weak.  It would have been
a real struggle to make much of a low band multiplier.

After a short break, I was back on 10m during the 07Z hour.  Found JT1A with
a big signal.  Started a great run of Europeans about 0730Z.  At the time, I
thought they were coming in from the Northeast on direct path.  Rates were
really good in the 08Z and 09Z hours. Local sunrise was about 0750Z.

At 10Z it was like someone threw a switch.  I couldn't get any answers so
had to do some S&P.  The OH gang was booming in, but not much else.  Worked
OH0RJ for a good one.  I really thought we had experienced a SID event and
had no idea what to expect. At this point I felt any chance at a record was
slipping away. The 11Z and 12Z hours were in the 50's.  It was obvious that
the path from the USA to Europe was great! Tuning around I was lucky to find
TA2IJ for a new one.

About 1245Z the band started to recover and I could get a run going into
Europe again. 9G1TB and HZ1HZ called in.  Plus 4K7Z, TZ6DX, GD4UOL, and
5H3US (my only zone 37) during the 14Z hour.

Things slowed down during the 15Z hour so I took the opportunity to run up
the band looking for multipliers.  3V8BB and CN8WW were easy.  Back to
running Europe during the last half of 15Z and all of 16Z.  GM0TTY gave me
Shetlands.
ZB2EO caught my attention in the pile-up for another good one.

The first USA stations started to come through about 1645Z. I kept the
antennas on Europe figuring I would have plenty of time for USA later. 17Z
was a mix of Europe and NA.  With Europe going out, I took from 1745Z to
1800Z to scan for multipliers.  I was rewarded with ZP9X, EA9EA, HI8/DL1HCM,
and P40W. The Carribbean guys were weak all day and there were many of them
that I called that I just could not break through the big NA pile-ups.

18Z and 19Z are when the real fun began.  Having 199 and 192 hours back to
back was a thrill.  No question that the USA ops are the easiest to run in
the world.  They send things only once, they are loud, and they are fast.
5N3CPR and VP5M each called in to give me new ones. At 1911Z VE2/N6ZZ helped
me out with zone 2.  That was a relief. At 1941Z KL1R gave me zone 1.

The 20Z and 21Z hours continued to be big.  I had Geoclock running on my
laptop and could almost watch the band close as darkness moved across the
USA.  JJ1DJW became the first JA of the evening at 2133Z.  The next hour was
a mix of JA and USA signals - all about the same strength.

The 23Z hour was mostly USA West Coast plus JAs.  V29QQ gave me a very good
multiplier.

Somewhere during the 23Z hour, Oms walked into the shack and noticed that
Marcelo was turning the "wrong" rotator.  I could have died - we had just
worked the first 23:30 with me turning the 15m rotator and Marcelo turning
the 10m rotator.  What a low point.  I think it was just conincidence, but
immediately upon recognizing the problem the JA signals came up and a nice
run started!

I felt really bad for Marcelo.  Since he had to get up to turn the rotators,
he usually pointed them at Europe and NA and left them.  Since I was sitting
right next to them, I would often turn the high beam in some unusual
direction just to see what might be out there.  When you are dealing with
such big antennas, the wrong direction is like putting the lights out!  What
was amazing to me is that I had not missed a multiplier that I had heard up
to that point.

Side note: I knew my competition during the contest was LU5CW at LT1F. We
did not compare any scores until the end of the contest, but I was worried
that I had lost at this point.  It took all my concentration to keep
pushing.  I actually tried to use it to my advantage as a motivator.  At the
end of 24 hours, LT1F was 289 QSOs ahead of me.  I am very happy I did not
know this!

Day 2

At the half way point I had 2208/35/125.  The record required something like
3750 QSOs and I didn't see any way this could be reached.  Since I usually
do all band where there are lots of multipliers, it was agony to realize
that in a single band effort, each QSO was only worth about 480 points.
Nothing to do but keep running and looking for countries.

The 00Z and 01Z hour were mostly JA with a few West Coast and some Pacific.
I got YB5QZ at 0148Z.  I took 30 minutes out during the 02Z hour to go take
a shower.  This is midnight local time and I was still surprisingly awake.
I figured I would catch a few hours of sleep after the shower.

Back on at 0245Z with big signals from 9M6NA, B7K and BD4EG.  Just wild to
hear all the loud Asians in the middle of the night.  The next two hours
were slow, but JAs kept calling so I postponed going to sleep. Worked N5XT
at 0446Z so you never know when the band will be open to where. Now that I
knew where the antennas were really pointing I could get some better idea of
where the openings were actually coming from.

During the 05Z hour the band began to open to the middle of Asia.  Mixed in
with the JAs were EX8MZ, AT2PTT, and UK8OM.  Then it went deeper into
European Russia about 0530Z.  I finally figured out that this opening was
via the long path beaming over the South Pole.  The next two hours were good
rate and had a very interesting sound to them.  The log is almost all zone
16 and 17 with a few JAs mixed in.

At 0900Z it stopped.  Instantly the band just went away to Europe.  Signals
from zone 26 were still booming in, but not much QSO volume there. I took a
quick spin up the band and caught 3A/N9NC just before he faded out.  Heard
VQ9IO but could not figure out what path he was coming in on. He was the
same strength in almost every direction! This was the only multiplier I
heard and could not work all weekend -- and it would have been a double.

About 0915Z I decided there was little I could do except put the CQ repeat
function on and wait for the band to recover.  Must have dozed off because
20 minutes later I wake up to find Z31RB calling me.  NH0E is my only QSO
for the next 30 minutes.  For those scoring at home, that is a 6 hour during
09Z!

Things finally return about 1030Z and I get a run started to Europe.  The
11Z and 12Z hours are great and give me some hope that I can still catch the
record.  UA2AW and OY1CT give me a lift.

At 13Z things die again.  Probably the result of the USA to Europe opening.
I tune around and work D44BC and the loud Europeans who are CQing.  Decide
to do a serious multiplier sweep and start at 28000 and go up.  6V6U,
3DA0CA, TU2MA, and JY9QJ are the reward.  Again there are a lot of
Carribbean guys that I can't break through.  I know there are 10 easy
multipliers that I am missing.  Work my last QSO up on 28160.

Probably wasted some good rate time because had no trouble getting a run
going at 14Z.  Worked Europe the next few hours.  SP1NY/MM gave me zone 40.
As loud as the OH's were all day, I was surprised it took so long.

Took another multiplier sweep at 16Z and got 4U1VIC with a nice signal,
JX7DFA who was working split, and ZF1A.  That took 10 minutes and I was back
to running.

The 17Z hour was a mix of Europe and USA.  I was prepared to just run out
the contest since my math indicated that QSOs were the only hope of getting
to the record.  With 6 hours to go, I had 3494/36/141.  Still needed about
350 QSOs for the record so I was hoping for some good USA runs like the day
before.

At 1803Z I just about fell out of the chair when a very loud 5A1A called and
gave me a double mult.  I quickly switched the antennas to make sure he was
coming from the correct direction.  He had the right sound.  Wow, never
expected that.  Ten minutes later GJ3YHU hands me another surprise.  At
1830Z I decide to search for Carribbean stations again.  Work P40E, 8P9Z
(beautiful job of digging me out on a tail end), and HK6KKK.  I heard TF3DX
calling the HK6 in the pile-up. So as soon as I worked KKK, I moved up half
a Khz and called the TF3.  TF3DX came right back.  You have to love it!

Decide I better get back to CQing and am astounded when OX3SA answers my
first press of F1.  Four new countries in 10 minutes.

The next several hours aren't fast but they pull me closer to my goal.  It
is almost all North America stations in the log.  At one point, I can
actually watch my appearance on packet as it moves around the country.
First there was a little burst of W8's, then some W9's, then some W3's, and
finally up to W1.  Really cool to hear.

Band almost dies about 22Z. Ernesto at LT1F stops by to ask how I am doing.
I tell him 2 Meg.  He tells me he has 1.9M.  Because of the low points for
each QSO, I figure this puts me about 200 QSOs ahead of him with 2 hours to
go.

Band doesn't seem to be quite as good to JA as it was on Saturday.  First
one in the log is JO1VRL at 2218Z.  I am getting anxious and bored and get
the crazy idea that I would like to get one big rate hour on 20m before the
contest is done.  I toy with this thought for awhile, and then at 2253Z make
the decision to go for it.  From 2254Z to 2311Z I work 52Q/8Z/9C on 20m.  It
wasn't as much fun as I expected and I started feeling guilty that I might
loose the contest while I was playing.

Made 51 QSOs on 10m in the last 45 minutes of the contest, mostly JAs, and
realized that I should have never left.  Lesson learned!

Finished with 3869/37/148 for 2,121,395 points. Breaks the 1990 world record
of 1,890,607 set by CX0CW (op CX8BBH).  The high country count was the
difference for both the record and beating LT1F.

Notes

ZW5B is not the best CW call in the world.  It was funny in pile-ups.  You
could almost see the other op as he tried to figure out what was calling
him.  They almost always came back to Z? or ZW? or 7W?  Then it would take
as many as 10 repeats to get the call correct.  I really appreciated the
guys who could copy it correctly on the first try.

I don't think I sent faster than 38 WPM all weekend.  I felt that people
would really blow the call if I went too fast.  I usually sent my call after
every QSO.  At one point on Saturday into the USA, I finally had the pile-up
to the point I felt I could send my call every other time.  So after a QSO,
I just sent TU.  Sure enough, my next QSO is N2MM who asks me for my call!

PY5EG is about the same south latitude as Orlando, Florida is north.  Why
don't we see these all night openings and long path from W4?  Brazil has the
fortune to be almost due south of both major radio population centers and at
the antipode of the third.  When you get great conditions like this, it is a
hard place to beat!

Neat trivia: The beam heading from PY5EG to Europe is 30 degrees.  For the
USA/JA it is 330 degrees.  Almost like being at home in W1!

Oms has an awesome station.  There was no interference between Marcelo on
15m and me on 10m. There is no local noise.  Running JA on Saturday night I
was amazed at how weak signals could be easily copied.  One of the quietest
places I have ever operated from.

I was surprised at how awake I was during the contest.  Other than the 20
minutes where I crashed, it was really easy to stay awake.  I suspect this
is due mostly to the relaxed nature of my week leading up to the contest.
It also could be due to only using one rig on a very quiet band -- didn't
have to waste much brain power digging weak stations out of the LF QRN.

Am I hooked?  The experience of operating outside the US is a seductive one.
I can't get the thought out of my head that I want to do something like this
again!

I don't handle any QSL cards for the operation.  Send them direct to Oms.

Will have pictures and more info on the http://www.contesting.com/Stories
web site within a few weeks.

73,

Randy, K5ZD

Numbers

Continent Statistics

                    160   80   40   20   15   10  ALL   percent

North America   CW    0    0    0    0    0 1432 1432    36.3
South America   CW    0    0    0    0    0   63   63     1.6
Europe          CW    0    0    0    0    0 1805 1805    45.7
Asia            CW    0    0    0    0    0  574  574    14.5
Africa          CW    0    0    0    0    0   26   26     0.7
Oceania         CW    0    0    0    0    0   46   46     1.2

Rate Sheet

HOUR      160      80       40       20       15       10    HR TOT  CUM TOT

   0    .....    .....    .....    .....    .....   115/41   115/41  115/41
   1      .        .        .        .        .      51/13    51/13  166/54
   2      .        .        .        .        .      27/10    27/10  193/64
   3      .        .        .        .        .      16/4     16/4   209/68
   4      .        .        .        .        .      47/9     47/9   256/77
   5      .        .        .        .        .       5/1      5/1   261/78
   6      .        .        .        .        .       1/1      1/1   262/79
   7      .        .        .        .        .      85/22    85/22  347/101
   8    .....    .....    .....    .....    .....   141/8    141/8   488/109
   9      .        .        .        .        .      93/5     93/5   581/114
  10      .        .        .        .        .      65/7     65/7   646/121
  11      .        .        .        .        .      50/7     50/7   696/128
  12      .        .        .        .        .      58/3     58/3   754/131
  13      .        .        .        .        .     107/2    107/2   861/133
  14      .        .        .        .        .     139/6    139/6  1000/139
  15      .        .        .        .        .      58/3     58/3  1058/142
  16    .....    .....    .....    .....    .....   164/3    164/3  1222/145
  17      .        .        .        .        .     101/5    101/5  1323/150
  18      .        .        .        .        .     199/3    199/3  1522/153
  19      .        .        .        .        .     192/4    192/4  1714/157
  20      .        .        .        .        .     156/1    156/1  1870/158
  21      .        .        .        .        .     166/1    166/1  2036/159
  22      .        .        .        .        .      95/0     95/0  2131/159
  23      .        .        .        .        .      77/1     77/1  2208/160
   0    .....    .....    .....    .....    .....    79/0     79/0  2287/160
   1      .        .        .        .        .      37/1     37/1  2324/161
   2      .        .        .        .        .       5/0      5/0  2329/161
   3      .        .        .        .        .      28/0     28/0  2357/161
   4      .        .        .        .        .      25/0     25/0  2382/161
   5      .        .        .        .        .      59/3     59/3  2441/164
   6      .        .        .        .        .      92/0     92/0  2533/164
   7      .        .        .        .        .      90/0     90/0  2623/164
   8    .....    .....    .....    .....    .....    92/1     92/1  2715/165
   9      .        .        .        .        .       6/1      6/1  2721/166
  10      .        .        .        .        .      66/0     66/0  2787/166
  11      .        .        .        .        .     172/1    172/1  2959/167
  12      .        .        .        .        .     142/1    142/1  3101/168
  13      .        .        .        .        .      21/4     21/4  3122/172
  14      .        .        .        .        .      73/1     73/1  3195/173
  15      .        .        .        .        .     103/1    103/1  3298/174
  16    .....    .....    .....    .....    .....    78/3     78/3  3376/177
  17      .        .        .        .        .     118/0    118/0  3494/177
  18      .        .        .        .        .      71/7     71/7  3565/184
  19      .        .        .        .        .      56/0     56/0  3621/184
  20      .        .        .        .        .     122/1    122/1  3743/185
  21      .        .        .        .        .      50/0     50/0  3793/185
  22      .        .        .        .        .      25/0     25/0  3818/185
  23      .        .        .        .        .      51/0     51/0  3869/185
DAY1    .....    .....    .....    .....    ..... 2208/160    ..... 2208/160
DAY2      .        .        .        .        .    1661/25      .   1661/25
TOT       .        .        .        .        .   3869/185      .   3869/185

Top Countries

    K           1303
   JA            405
   DL            331
   UA            191
    G            122
   UR            115
    I            103
    F            102
   OK            101

QRATE Report

1704:    5 per minute (300/hr)
1819:   41 per 10 minutes (246/hr)
1912:  223 per hour

Randy Thompson, K5ZD

E-mail k5zd@ma.ultranet.com
Web http://www.contesting.com/k5zd
11 Hollis Street, Uxbridge, MA 01569
Tel (h) 508-278-2355 (w) 508-337-6600 x-213