[CQ-Contest] QSO B4... NO YOU DIDN'T!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] QSO B4... NO YOU DIDN'T!
From: jneiger@xtised.com (James Neiger)
Date: Thu Dec 10 14:24:18 1998
Trey Garlough wrote:

> > I worked most of them but after a while you start to wonder. Why are
> > there so many. Have they bust my call, computer crash, no dupe
> > sheet, we didn't really have the first QSO. It would be interesting
> > if there was some way of working this out.
>
> The bottom line is: "It's not possible to know."
>
> In the 1998 ARRL November Sweepstakes (CW), I had my logging program
> crash/lock up on me about 50 times over the weekend, which was quite a
> nuisance, but I pressed ahead.  It wasn't until late Saturday evening
> when I started calling top ops like K5ZD and KT3Y and receiving "SRI
> QSO B4" that it occurred to me: "Uh oh.  Data lost."
>
> So I spent the rest of the weekend begging people to work me again.
> What a nightmare.  But hey, I lived to tell about it and still made a
> good result. Oh well, the trauma passes quickly once the contest is
> over.
>
> --Trey, N5KO
>
> --

I learned (painfully) last year that many of my CQ CW dupes resulted
from my call being busted on a couple of packet spots.  The "packeteers"
then worked me, not bothering to listen to whom they were really
calling, all the time thinking they had "a new one".  Another reason
packet should be s---canned.

                       Jim Neiger
                       N6TJ/ZD8Z