[CQ-Contest] Re: Newbie Contesting

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Newbie Contesting
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher, W4AN)
Date: Sat Dec 12 16:42:11 1998
At 07:58 AM 12/12/98 -0600, Robert & Leslie Eaton wrote:
>Bill,
>        Where may I find some of the "basics of contesting" for a newbie
>like Me?  I can read the contest rules, but I have several questions about
>the exchanges and especially how to calculate the points.

Hi Leslie.  An excellent place to start is the CQ-Contest mail list.  I'm
CCing this message to the list in hopes that a few of our readers will help
in answering your questions.  The CQ-Contest mail list is not just for the
guys who have been doing contesting for what seems like forever.  You
questions are welcome there and please jump in with both feet.

>        For instance, for the ARRL 10m contest this weekend, I am operating
>CW, and I am currently a Technician Plus. I have gleaned from the rules that
>stations contacting me will get 8pts for the QSO. (That means I might get a
>few folks to slow down to my speed) Now, I would probably only get 4 pts
>unless the other station is a Tech plus right?

Yes they get 8 points IF you send KD5DYY/T.  If you do not, they get 4
points.  You get 4 points per QSO unless you work another /T or /N station.

>        Second, How EXACTLY would I do the exchange?? (I really don't want
>to sound like a lid).  If I am calling CQ, I would call:
>        CQ CQ DE KD5DYY/T KD5DYY/T K   (or would I properly end with QRZ?)

First dont worry about sounding like a lid.  We've all sounded like lids
one time or another.  This is actually a GREAT question.

The answer is send as little as you can and still make a/the QSO.

1.  No need to send "DE" or "K".  For that matter, no need to send "QRZ" or
"Contest" at the end of your CQ.  Ending with "Contest" will more often
than not get you some guy asking for your callsign because all he heard was
"Contest".

2.  When calling someone, send your full callsign one time.  If the station
answers you and sends/says your callsign correctly do NOT repeat your
callsign.  Just send the report and NOT his callsign.  He knows his
callsign.

3.  Dont be afraid to send slowly or to ask for a station to QRS.  If he
wont QRS, move on to the next station and ask him/her.  80% of the people
will QRS depending on their rate.  CQing at your comfortable speed is also
a good idea.  Again, dont be afraid to ask the answering station to QRS.

4.  On SSB always send your callsign with phonetics.  Use standard
phonetics, not something that sounds cute.

>        Now, would YOU respond with:
>        KD5DYY/T de W4AN    (or would you simply key W4AN)

I would only send W4AN, once.

>        Then should I respond with:
>        W4AN DE KD5DYY/T  U R 59 TX   59 TX  K  (or do I also need a
serial #)

You should respond with "59 Texas" ** IF ** I say your callsign correctly.
If I dont, you should reply with your callsign again.  Make me say your
callsign correctly before you give me the report.  This way you know it's a
good QSO.  There are many "not so hot ops" that will never send your
correct callsign in the process of a QSO.  The only way you know they have
your callsign correct, is if you hear them say it.

>       or would it be more appropriate to respond with:
>        W4AN UR 59 TX 59 TX K   (and assume he knows that KD5DYY is
responding?)

No need to send my callsign.  I know my callsign.  No need to send "UR".
It doesn't add any value to the QSO.  It only slows you and me down.  No
need to send "K", I'll know when you are done sending.

>Several times I have sat for hours listening and been unable to figure out
>the exchange. I also am trying to figure out what the proper "protocol" is.
>Most of the very experienced contesters key SO MUCH faster than I do, that
>it's a blur of dits and dahs!  I know that over time I will improve,
>however, I would like to get involved in contesting and I want to learn the
>proper way to do things from the start. That way I'm not trying to unlearn
>bad habits or, worse yet, I sound like a lid!

Asking questions is a good idea.  Many times I hear a contest going on that
I am not familiar with the exchange or format.  The first guy I call I will
ask him what the contest is and what is the exchange.  Other times I will
just listen for another station to answer and figure it out.  There are
also contest calendars that can help a lot.  If they are sending too fast
ask them to QRS.

>I would appreciate any assistance or guidance to web sites or books that may
>help me learn things the right way.

Again...  please ask me ANY time.  But I also encourage you to ask the
entire group.  Most of us are very interested in helping new people out.
We've all been in your shoes.  Believe me.

There used to be a book on contesting, but I'm not sure it is being
published.  The National Contest Journal is an excellent source of
information.  It is published by the ARRL.  CQ publishes CQ-Contest magazine.

>Thank you for your courtesy and time.

You are most welcome.

73

Bill, W4AN