[CQ-Contest] Comments on ARRL DX Contest Exchange

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Comments on ARRL DX Contest Exchange
From: w2gd@hotmail.com (John Crovelli)
Date: Thu Feb 18 09:15:21 1999
Amazing how discussion on this subject keeps cropping up every year
about this time.

FWIW, I will be using the exchange 5NN K (or 5NN KW when I get
unfocused) this weekend at P40W.  The message that I am running 1000
watts gets through just fine, especially after doing the same thing in
at least 5 prior ARRL DX CW events, without disqualification.  Isn't the
idea to impart information as efficently and effectively as possible?
The meaning of the letter "K" is pretty universal and unambiguous don't
you think?

Any more comments out there?  Or will this topic finally fad away?

CU all on 160 meters on the hour and/or half hour this weekend.  Will
try to avoid the even frequencies (e.g. 1820/30/40 or 1850) due to the
BC heterodynes.  1830 khz is particularly bad on P4.  Good luck.

73,

John W2GD/P40W

From: Dan Reese" <danreese@execpc.com (Dan Reese)

>The meaning of the letter "K" is pretty universal and unambiguous don't
>you think?

Sure, doesn't it mean "I am done transmitting, now it's your turn"?

Seriously, a more casual contester might construe a single "K" as such,
and ask for a fill on the power.  But then, a more casual contester
probably doesn't care what your power is, and probably won't ask for a
fill anyway.

"KW" consistently would make a little more sense to me.  Does the single
"K" buy a few more Qs per hour?  Perhaps, if you're DX, loud, and can
run, so more "power" to you!

73, and cu in the test!

Dan N9XX
danreese@execpc.com