[CQ-Contest] Re: Packet Dupes & Blown calls

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Packet Dupes & Blown calls
From: rhiker@uswest.net (Mike Fatchett)
Date: Wed Mar 3 17:44:26 1999
W5ASP@aol.com writes:

> Now why did I end up with over 160 dupes.... many, if not most, from the
East
> Coast and mid West. I imagine that a large part of the answer is Packet
and
> CAT. It's difficult for me to believe that the majority of those who duped
me
> miscopied my call on the initial contact... simply because they must have
> called me in response to my CQ (with my call nearly always given after
each
> QSO.) And as I mentioned, I think I had a distinctive, clearly readable
> signal.

I do not understand why you think it is packet that is causing the dupes.
I do not think it is packet.  Packet might be one of the reasons but
consider the following:

1. There were dupe QSOs BEFORE packet radio.

I operated from St. Kitts as V47M and V47A and the dupe rate on 10 meters
was close to 10 percent!  This was before packet.  As the number of Qso's go
up so does the dupe rate generally.  Other bands from V47 land had dupe
rates from 4-7 percent.  I was portable KP2 and did a single 15 in 1996.
1658 Qso's and 63 were dupes.

My take is that unless it is Sweepstakes or a contest with a long exchange
it is easier to just work the dupe and move on.  Some one mentioned that you
waste X hours working dupes.  This time is either lost logging the contact
again or trying to tell the station SRI WKD B4.

73

Mike
W0MU