[CQ-Contest] Upcoming ARRL SSB Contest

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Upcoming ARRL SSB Contest
From: lew@teleport.com (lew@teleport.com)
Date: Thu Mar 4 19:32:48 1999
On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Christoph Rheker wrote:
> Those of you planing to operate 80 meters on the weekend:
> Like many other small pistols(500w and a vert.), I scan the band for
> stations calling CQ and try to make a QSO.
> During the past 3 years, I heard several times W5's and W0's with
> good signals answering CQ's of the loud Euros. BUT I have found
> almost none of them calling CQ. So, if condx permit, you big guns
> start some CQs and wait for masses of Euros giving you a QSO..))
       HI Chris,
    I echo your comments. Frequently when checking condix, I'll hear EU/AF
"small pistols" responding to the calls of the E. Coast stations who are
"listening down". If they would call CQ for a bit below the US band
listening up, I know I could work them, as I have in the past..but would
like to see many more calling 3650-3740 where it can be amazingly quiet
out here on the West Coast USA. I try to call for a bit around the EU
sunrise, but busting through a continent of incontinent CQ'ers in such a
fashion as to be copyable is hard...but thats all part of the Test!
    I've had success calling CQ split on 40M working the EU/AF...no reason
it can't work on 80M also...We just need people using that big knob on the
front of the radio looking for each other. Tuning is an art form....

> It's always nice to work a Mult from New Mexico, Colorado etc.. on 80 SSB.
        West Coast USA 80M SSB mults completed with EU/AF stations is the
rare event that will sometimes give us the incontinence the rest of the US
typically achieves. We hope this weekend will be overflowing in this
regard. A Q may just be a Q in the log..but some of them are quite
memorable. Just as in golf, there is always one shot that will bring you
back to play again..There usually are several Q's in a contest that will
do the same thing. We certainly know its not the "big score"!

> 73
> Chris DL4YAO
         Foley catheters at the ready!    73 and I remain,
               Lew

         Lew  Sayre   W7EW/W7AT           lew@teleport.com
         P.O.Box  3110                    Fax 503-391-2258
         Salem, Oregon 97302              160M thru 1296MHz