[CQ-Contest] SS-LOG Super-Check

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SS-LOG Super-Check
From: K5GA@aol.com (K5GA@aol.com)
Date: Sat Mar 6 10:14:34 1999
I just got the answers back from Tree for my SS CW operation at WX0B.

It was quite interesting, but I have some personal observations that I want to
share with the masses. However, before doing so, everyone please understand
that I appreciate the log checking being done, but also understand I see some
harm in it as well.

#1..........SS is not Sprint. I don't feel SS should be checked as hard as
Sprint because of the tremendous amount of unique information that is
exchanged in SS. Too many variables with QRM and fading that allows one dit to
be lost which causes TWO QSOs lost. The penalty thing is ridiculous.

#2..........Too much "professionalizing" of SS will chase off many casual
operators who give us the Qs. Why should a station who is trying for a pin
etc. waste his time knowing that some professional log checker is going to
nick-pick his log to death to the point of  possibly losing the pin. Or,
consider a small pistol who is trying to improve last year's score  ( which
will bring the person back next year for more improvement ), but finds  the
log was penalized to the Nth degree, thus making the person mad enough to
quit. I know some of you will think logging accuracy is part of the
improvement process. Well, it is, but don't slap these people too hard over
this 100% accuracy thing

#3..........The idea of checking so diligently is going to force the Top 10
stations to record the contest and edit it afterward. Pesonally, I find this
distasteful and not in the spirit of competition. If it comes to this, I will
most likely drop out of SS because my life does not revolve around contesting
to the point of having to edit my log because all the other stations of which
I am competing against is editing. Sorry, but give me a big BREAK. Enough.

I see one thing which could possibly solve this dilemma. For all stations
wishing to compete for Top 10 status, make it mandatory for these stations to
email their log within 2 hours after the end of the contest. No editing,,, no
perusing...just the real thing as it happened. Then, the log-checkers who wish
to give up their lives for the sake of 100% accuracy, have at it, and may the
best set of ears and DSP-equipped stations win.

Sincerely,

Bill  K5GA