[CQ-Contest] Keying interface

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Keying interface
From: k6ll@juno.com (k6ll@juno.com)
Date: Sun Mar 28 21:56:26 1999

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 19:45:37 -0600 (CST) Joe <w0joe@tabby.cooldude.com>
writes:

>What do you use for a rig interface for the higher current
>requirements on
>older rigs, such as Kenwood TS520, etc. with a 2N4400 transistor type
>interface?  I've had some luck driving my Ham Keyer with the regular
>interface, and modifying the output of the Ham Keyer with a
>reed-relay,
>and connecting this to the Kenwood key jack.

The old rigs used a keying voltage of about minus 100vdc.
Here's what I did on my old TS-830:

View this diagram with a fixed font, such as Courier

                        | /------------- Kenwood key jack
              4.7k      |/
+9vdc--------/\/\/\-----|  g.p. high voltage TO92 pnp(>150v)
from                    |\
accessory               | \
plug                      e\
on Kenwood                 |
                           |short piece of shielded cable
                           |to female in-line phone jack
                           |   |
                           |---|/___gnd (protective diode)
                           |   |\
                           |
                           | to regular interface

The resistor and transistor can be stuffed inside a male
phono plug, which
is then plugged into the Kenwood key jack. A little wire pigtail
sticks out the back of the phono plug, and is attached to 9vdc,
which is available on one of the Kenwood sockets (vfo?).
A short piece of shielded cable goes from the emitter of
the transistor to a female in-line phono jack, which is
where you connect your regular positive interface. You can also
connect a straight key or positive keyer at this point. Put a
protective diode in the female jack to keep high voltage out of
the computer just in case something goes wrong.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL@juno.com

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]