[CQ-Contest] Re: [WSVHF] VHF Sprints

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: [WSVHF] VHF Sprints
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Wed Apr 14 13:54:25 1999
On Wed, Apr 14, 1999 at 12:08:22PM -0400, baack@maine.edu wrote:
> > > Kenneth E. Harker wrote:
> >
> > > Subject: [WSVHF] VHF Sprints
> > >      It is clear to me that the current format of the Spring Sprints is
> > > broken.   Participation and interest in the sprints is at an all-time
> > > low, and without heavy-duty sponsorship, the contests are destined to
> > > die out.
>
> Ken, I disagree.
> I think the Sprints should not be turned into another full blown "let-me-work-
> you-on-nine-bands" contest.
> Let me explain.
> The sprints as I see them, are a tune up to what lies ahead in June and
> September.  A time to try new things, see if the antenna(s) are working
> correctly, smoke testing your amps, pre-amps and associated gear.
> Check to see what other folks are working and who they are hearing, plus
> only have to set aside a 4 hour block of time to do it in.  Such a deal!

   I guess I don't understand why we need a "contest" to do this.  If you
need to find out whether an antenna or amp is working, just get on the
air.  Why have a "it's-almost-a-real-contest" contest just to get ready for
the "now-it's-the-real-thing-contest" contest?

> YES  we could turn the Sprints into a full blown contest event and work the
> same 20/30/50/100 people over and over, band to band,

There are only a few spots in the country (New England being one of them)
where there are more than 20 stations to work in the current sprints!

> OR  we can take the time and bring in someone new.  Give them a chance
> to see what this "contesting thing" is all about.  Plus still have time
> left over to get right into the thick of things.

So, do I interpret this as a desire to have a "contest" but have it
be "casual" with _expected_ long periods between contacts?  I think
K2TXB was expressing the same sort of sentiment.  If there's a desire for
that sort of operating event, then that's exactly what the current
format of the Spring Sprints is, and maybe they should stay as they are.

But I would like to see a multi-band VHF contest on a weekend evening that
is 4 hours long.  Let's say that it has nothing to do with the old "sprints."
Let's say the old "sprints" stay in business for those who want them.
I think such a new contest would be more fun.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                  Amateur Radio Callsign: KM5FA
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124               Maintainer of the Linux Laptop Home Page