[CQ-Contest] Hey...chill out! It's a contest! It's VHF and it's just fin

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Hey...chill out! It's a contest! It's VHF and it's just fine with me.
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Thu Apr 15 11:42:14 1999
On Thu, Apr 15, 1999 at 09:06:04AM -0400, tgstewart@pepco.com wrote:

> Man, all this griping about contest rules/formats again...  hey, it's a
> contest and wouldnt it be boring if they were all the same or even if
> they were all "perfect"?

     This is exactly my point.  Right now, on VHF, every contest is one
of either two types: an all-band, all-weekend contest, or a single-band
four-hour contest.  Unless you live in the northeast, the latter type
gets boring quickly.  (Yes, I suppose I should be jumping at the chance
to spend four hours to work, what, two maybe three stations in the upcoming
222MHz Sprint...)  So, let's have a third VHF contest format, a new
style of VHF contest that I think could be fun all over the country!

> The VHF Sprints have their place and they are fine the way they are
> (except for the 6 meter portion which needs to be moved off of Dayton
> weekend).  If you dont like 'em, you dont have to get on and work
> anybody, and you can always start your own contest and do better :)

    This is exactly what I want.

    We can keep the all-band all-weekend contests.

    We can keep the single-band four-hour contests.

    Let's have a new, all-band, four-hour sprint on a weekend.  There's
no contest like it on VHF yet.  I think it would be fun.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                  Amateur Radio Callsign: KM5FA
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124               Maintainer of the Linux Laptop Home Page