[CQ-Contest] Re: Choice of CW Narrow filters

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Choice of CW Narrow filters
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat Apr 17 22:15:26 1999
At 02:20 PM 4/16/99 -0700, Bruce Sawyer wrote:
>Sorry, I can't buy this one, and I don't think others should either.  I
>believe it's the height of rudeness to plop down within someone else's
>500Hz bandwidth and blast away, then simply ignore the pleas of the
>fellow whose frequency you are essentially trying to steal.  It may be a
>competitive environment on a crowded band during a contest, but that
>shouldn't translate into "it's a jungle and anything goes if you can get
>away with it".  This is surely a value judgement, but I think 500Hz is
>the closest you should go in trying to horn in on somebody.  In fact,
>there's really kind of a Golden Rule principle at work here, isn't
>there?  There are plenty of radios that can squeeze down tighter than
>250Hz (e.g. TS-870), and I don't think you'd like somebody doing this to
>you on your newfound 250Hz slice.

I sympathize, but in real life it seems to me that often the two stations
start out not interfering, and then things change.  Propagation shifts, or
one or the other station tweaks his VFO ever so slightly to avoid
interference from someone on the other side, and bingo!  In that case, it's
a lot harder to say who the bad guy is.  Often it's a lose-lose situation,
but if one guy has a narrower or steeper-skirted filter, and can live with
the close clearance, then I think he's under no obligation to move away and
give the guy with the wider filter a free shot.  It's a little iffier if
Mr. Narrow-band arrives out of the blue and plops down next to Mr.
Wider-band, but I still think there's no iron rule, particularly if the
band is crowded.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

Loud is.