[CQ-Contest] CW equipment question

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CW equipment question
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Mon Apr 19 16:19:42 1999
On Mon, Apr 19, 1999 at 02:53:53PM -0500, Ed Goss wrote:
> Ken,
>      One quick solution would be to use a foot switch.  I use one
> anyway because I don't like relays kicking in all the time on my old
> Drake 4-line.

   Yes, we could do that, but we have four radios on five bands now, and
usually our ops are trying to manipulate two radios at once, already with a
foot switch and headset mic for ssb.  I'd like to be able just to hit the
memory button, and have the keyer close the PTT line, send the CW, and then
open the PTT line automatically.  This is what TR Log does with its
parallel port keying interface, but for various reasons (mainly the four
different older-non-computer-controllable radios and only one logging PC)
we're using a stand-alone memory keyer instead.

> --Ed, N3CW--
>
> On 19 Apr 99, at 12:59, Kenneth E. Harker wrote:
>
> Date sent:            Mon, 19 Apr 1999 12:59:25 -0500
> From:                 "Kenneth E. Harker" <kharker@cs.utexas.edu>
> Subject:              [CQ-Contest] CW equipment question
> To:                   CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
>

> >     I've recently acquired a new radio for the N5XU VHF contest station.
> > Unlike our other radios, this one requires manually toggling the PTT
> > line while sending CW.
> >
> >     We use a Super CMOS Keyer III for the VHF radios.  I think it would be
> > great if I could have the keyer handle a PTT line in addition to the keying
> > line, much like TR Log can do from a parallel port CW interface.  The
> > Super CMOS Keyer III does not do this currently.
> >
> >     Does anyone have ideas/sources for a circuit I could add to the keyer
> > to do this?

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                  Amateur Radio Callsign: KM5FA
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124               Maintainer of the Linux Laptop Home Page