[CQ-Contest] Is somebody's contest program too smart?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Is somebody's contest program too smart?
From: k8cc@ix.netcom.com (David A. Pruett)
Date: Wed Apr 28 00:06:33 1999
K0IL wrote:

"See the pattern?  Why did 9 of the above 19 errors log me as MAR (except
one ND) instead of Nebraska?  Took some thinking, but it soon dawned on me:

 They copied me correctly as Nebraska (NE) but logged me as New Brunswick
(NB)!"

Do any of the logging programs map "NB" into "MAR" automatically?  Not to
put too fine of a point on it, but the exchanged geographic area in SS is
a SECTION, not a state or province.  Yes, I will admit that if I get "NB"
from a VE9 in SS (geez, I THINK its VE9...) the natural reaction is to
log it as MAR but this is part of the operator's skill, rationalizing the
call and exchange to validate what get's logged.  In this case, it appears
that the software that is trying to be smart proved not to be smart enough.

The good contest op CHECKS WHAT IS LOGGED, PARTICULARLY WHEN THE COMPUTER
FILLS IN OR CHANGES STUFF.

Dave/K8CC