[CQ-Contest] random exchanges

Subject: [CQ-Contest] random exchanges
From: tim.k9tm@totalink.net (Tim Mitchell)
Date: Wed Apr 28 22:20:36 1999
K4SB (Ed) wrote:
>SS definitely states you must sign / if not in your area..so tell me how a
VE9
> not signing / could possibly be mistaken for Nebraska? Or a 7 for ORG?

I don't believe this statement to be true as written.  I just went and
looked on the ARRL web site again and do not find anything that says this.
The only contest I know this to be a requirement for is WPX... and that is
because the prefix changes, which is the multiplier.  If I am wrong, please
tell me where this is written. I have never heard of this for SS.

I do agree that the VE operating in the US needs to sign /W#... this is an
FCC requirement, not a contest requirement.  The one I don't buy is the W7
in ORG, to me this is possible.

I trust that the person sending ORG knows the difference between ORG in CA
and  OR OREGON... if not, this is not my problem as the receiver.  The log
checking should catch this as the person sending this is supposed to report
what they sent for each QSO.  Even if they don't do that, I think that Tree
would see enough people copying ORG that we would not get dinged for it.
The problem would be people who assume that as a W7 he is in OR and put OR
in their log.

As a 9 in OH... I don't sign /8 in SS.  My station license does not say
K9TM/8 and my OH address.  Neither does K6LL in AZ have to sign /7 (for SS
anyway) or K1TO in SFL have to sign /4 and so on...

73 Tim  K9TM in OH (no /8 required for SS)