[CQ-Contest] RE: Aging Ranks

Subject: [CQ-Contest] RE: Aging Ranks
From: w2ps@nycap.rr.com (Ben Bond)
Date: Fri Jun 4 18:49:51 1999
I've been following this thread for a while now and find most postings have
some merit. But, if you have access to the April, 1966 QST page 86 - you
will see the same arguments being discussed at that time (33 years ago)!!
The good ol' Correspondence section is filled with most of what has been
said here today. I found one reply to be a real hoot. And I quote the words
of Al Smith W2AFJ/K3DMS of Dolyestown Pennsylvania - "Today there is little
real challenge in entering amateur radio. Wheras one once darned well had to
learn how to utilize schematics, use his bench tools, test and troubleshoot,
now all that is required is a source of cash (or credit) plus a
not-too-complex or involved capability to absorb instruction on code and
theory----- Wonder what Al would say today?

Glad I have some of the old QST's around. The reason I had to look back this
far, was, as I always remember, the results of the November SS (both phone
and CW) were published in March or April. Now we get these results in June
(CW) and July (phone). Look how far we've come with

Ben Bond W2PS

<SNIP>