[CQ-Contest] Attn Plaque Winners & Attracting New Blood

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Attn Plaque Winners & Attracting New Blood
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher, W4AN)
Date: Sun Jun 6 18:57:48 1999

I thought the ROOKIE category thing was cool idea.  Yes, it doesn't apply
to 99% of the guys on this list.  But yes, 99% of us probably benefit from
the idea.

I think a positive reward system is a good thing.  I know some guys who
think there should be one plaque for each mode of the SS.  Their thinking
is that if there are 25 plaques given out, what's so special about the one
for winning HP?  I don't get this line of thinking.

That said, why don't some of you belly up to the bar and sponsor a plaque?
How about the <UNDER 25> or <OVER 65> or <ROOKIE> category for your
favorite contest?  How about the unsponsored plaques for the SS?

A few years ago I noticed the overwhelmingly low turn out from W7 and W6 in
the CQWW contests.  I also noticed a few very hard working guys getting no
attention for their efforts.  I contacted John Dorr and asked if I could
sponsor a plaque for the Single-Op High Power Unassisted winner from Zone-3
for both modes.  John said sure thing, and I've been happily sending him a
check ever since.

I'm proud to say I'll sponsor more plaques than I'll ever win.
Unfortunately, this does not seem to be the case for most guys winning
plaques.

73

Bill

Bill Fisher, W4AN (EX KM9P)