[CQ-Contest] Offtimes & the Start and End of the contest.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Offtimes & the Start and End of the contest.
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher - W4AN)
Date: Mon Jun 14 16:29:29 1999

The WPX contest states that off periods must be a minimum of 60 minutes in
length and clearly marked in the log.

Question:  Can you take an offtime of 30 minutes at the end of the
contest?

Question:  Does this mean you MUST operate the entire first hour and
entire last hour of the contest, if you are going to operate either at
all?

To me, the start of the contest is just that... when you start operating.
Whether you start at 0000Z or 0030Z, it's still the start FOR YOU.  The
same for the end of the contest.  If I decide to end the contest at 2330Z,
the contest is over.  The last 30 minutes is not an off time!  It's the
end of the contest.

Neither of these situations applied to me this year, but it does to one of
my competitors.  My good friend Dave Patton says that there can not be a
30 minute off time in the last hour of the contest.  I disagree.

Any other opinions?  N8BJQ?

73

Bill Fisher