[CQ-Contest] Contest Food

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest Food
From: ums@nconnect.net (Gary Sutcliffe)
Date: Tue Jul 13 14:09:56 1999

>Read this again!  Dave is RIGHT ON (except for the coffee and Coke).
>
>Fats take a long time to digest.  Your blood goes to your stomach to help
>with the digestion process.  THAT MAKES YOU SLEEPY!
>
>My list:
>
>1.  No fats.  NONE
>2.  Protein
>3.  Little or no sugar.  Contributes to high highs and low lows.
>
>OK so what do I eat?
>
>- Cubed 100% lean turkey from the grocery deli
>- Fruit that is easy to eat.
>- Fruit roll ups
>- Sandwichs of turkey and bread.  No mayo or cheese or other fats.

Interesting.  Some comments on a couple of items on your list:

The fruit roll ups my daughter likes seem to have lots of sugar.  Are there
low sugar types?

The turkey would certainly have the low fat advantages. On the other hand I
remember hearing that turkey has a lot of some substance that makes you
sleepy. It is supposedly one of the factors in creating the traditional
post Thanksgiving dinner nap.

My contribution to the menu is a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast.  It is low
fat, high in carbohydrates, and a warm breakfast is good for a cold
basement shack during the winter contests.

In general I try to eat more or less the same stuff I normally do, but on
the low fat end of the scale and in smaller portions. Some of those diet
microwave dinners meet those criteria, and are quick to prepare. I found
that trying to change things too much was more of a distraction than the
advantages of a better diet.

I know one contester who liked to snack on pretzels.  They were not messy
and the salt helps you retain water, supposedly cutting down on bathroom
breaks.

73 - Gary

Gary Sutcliffe, W9XT  ums@nconnect.net
www.QTH.com/w9xt