[CQ-Contest] Re: Two letter, or partial, calls

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Two letter, or partial, calls
From: n5nj@att.net (n5nj@att.net)
Date: Wed Jul 28 16:38:42 1999
>It also might help if the person calling CQ would
simply and calmly
>mention, "full call signs only please" if and when he
or she feels it is
>getting out of hand.  I've heard it done from time to
time, but maybe it
>should be done more often as a reminder that the
practice is not
>acceptable.

Well, in theory this may sound good, and it may sound
nice to those who are interested in following the
instructions of the DX station,  but there's a large
number of stations that fit in the following categories:

1) They ignore the instructions
2) They don't understand the instructions
3) Just tuned onto the pileup and dump in their call
4) Can't hear the instructions (QRM etc)

In my experience at V26B for several years, the vast
majority fit in one of the above categories.  #1 and #2
seem to be most prevalent from a certain continent.

>Simply ignoring the "two letter" call IMHO doesn't
convey any
>message.  It just makes the offender assume that they
haven't been heard
>yet and the call gets louder.

This point is valid.  Unfortunately, and regrettably,
the quickest way to dispose of the "two-letter" callers
is to work them and get them out of the way.  Perhaps,
this provides a tacit approval of their behavior.  I
doubt seriously that many of those listening are
analyzing the techniques involved in order to emulate
them.  The phenomena mentioned in #'s 1 thru 4 may apply
again.

73,
Bob
--