[CQ-Contest] August CQ arrives

Subject: [CQ-Contest] August CQ arrives
From: henrypol2@juno.com (henrypol2@juno.com)
Date: Wed Jul 28 20:25:24 1999
Stopped by the PO box this hot morning and found the latest CQ.
Interestingly, on the way home this (real hot!) afternoon, I stopped by
my local newsstand for a couple of new fishing mags, and found the latest
CQ also there.

Front cover photo of KE7NS in his well-equiped shack holding a few
"valuable" QSL cards.

A word about the editor, Alan Dorhoffer, K2EEK, SK.  I did not know Alan,
never talked with him, and the only letter I wrote in response to his
editorials went unanswered; however, I feel like I have lost a close
friend.  Having read dozens of magazines over extended periods throughout
my adult life, I have come to enjoy reading the editorials.  They usually
provide an interesting insight into the magazine's subject material.
Sometime, after a few dozen articles, you begin to feel like you really
know the editor personally.  Of all the magazines I regularly read,
Alan's editorials were among the few that I really looked forward to
reading each month.  They almost always provided an interesting, or new,
perspective on ham-related items.  As I remarked in an e-mail note to
someone just last month, one of the highlights of getting CQ were the
editorials.  For the last two years I have considered going to the
Charlotte, NC hamfest with one of the objectives to meet Alan and
personally thank him for his thought-provoking and entertaining
editorials.  Alas, I did not make it, thinking that I would try again
next year.  Now, I am sorry that I did not go.  I do hope the CQ staff
honors Alan with a picture of him on a future cover such as they did for
Barry Goldwater (cover - August 1998).  BTW, where is Bill Orr?  I do not
remember seeing one of his columns, Radio FUNdamentals, in over a year!

OK, so what is in this issue....?

Contest related items:
1999 CQ 160 Meter Contest High-Claimed Scores
Skewed Paths to Europe on the Low Bands
Contest Calendar column - CQ's Newest Contest Hall of Fame Members
DX column - Basic Common-Sense Procedures (that even apply to contesters)

Other interesting items:
Feedline Verticals for 2 and 6 Meters
A Delicate Balance (the story of building a balanced antenna tuner)
5Z4LI, A DXpedition to Lamu Island, Kenya
World of Ideas column - Mobiling '99: New Interests and New Ideas Abound!
VHF Plus column - That Summer Meteor Shower
Washington Readout column - FCC Discusses Rulemaking at Dayton

CQ Showcase has a picture and short description of the ACOM 2000A
Automatic HF Linear Amp.
First Call Communications' ad has a picture of the new Big Boy Rotators.
CQ Communications is having a 50% off inventory clearance sale on a lot
of their stock of books.

73 and good reading,
Henry Pollock - K4TMC
Raleigh, NC