[CQ-Contest] last 2 letters fixed

Subject: [CQ-Contest] last 2 letters fixed
From: bogus@does.not.exist.com (bogus@does.not.exist.com)
Date: Thu Jul 29 14:09:57 1999

Several years ago Jack HB9TL operated from fairly rare Pacific Island
stations.  Jack always says "full call signs only".  In the midst of a big
pile up a European called as "Quebec Papa".  Jack worked several stations
repeating the statement "full call signs only".   Finally Jack asked QP are
you assigned "Quebec papa" as your call.  That was the last we ever heard of
the station!

Regarding the DX net on 20, I remember a dozen years ago they were "running"
what they thought was 3B9FR.   I listened and laughed as FH8OM tried to tell
them that Robert was down the band and would come up soon.  All the while
they were running the contacts.  I remember the WA2 saying good contact and
I broke in with "yes with FH8OM".  He told me to QSY.   Give these guys a
break they don't have a clue!

Unfortunately the IOTA frequencies (mainly 14.260) on SSB are havens for the
last two letter crowd.  I have worked over 6K QSOs from St.Simons Island
(IOTA NA-058) and run at 300 per hour (mostly European) and have never had
to rely on using "last two " letters.  Sometimes you get parts of a call
sign as in any pile up but the good op does not let it get out of hand.

73 Dave K4JRB