[CQ-Contest] Small-medium Pistol Response

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Small-medium Pistol Response
From: kg2au@stny.rr.com (Jimmy Weierich)
Date: Sun Aug 1 15:06:34 1999
George KF3BE wrote:

>Well, excuse me...I resemble that description and I am a small to medium
>pistol and I love DXing and I love contesting and it sure would be nice for
>me to make a clean sweep (missed by one last year).  I don't use packet for
>SS but I find packet and internet DX cluster for DXing very useful tools.
>
>So who gets to decide WHO IS AND WHO IS NOT a REAL contester or DXer?
>
>REMEMBER all the small pistols combined can make one HELLAVA BANG!

I am a very small pistol running 100 watts into single element
antennas, none of which is higher than 40 feet. In WNY in a valley.
Last year in Phone SS  (my 5th) I managed a clean sweep, confirmed by
N6TR's log checking (thanks Tree). Without the use of packet.

If I can achieve a sweep with my limited station I think most anyone
can. But it probably won't happen with a casual approach - I didn't
come close until I got serious. What it takes is sufficient desire
along with a lot of preparation, perspiration and persistence.
Everything I've read or heard tells me THAT is what makes a real
contester.

And what a tremendous sense of accomplishment it brings!

YOU are the only one who can decide if you are a REAL contester or
DXer. With or without packet.

Best regards, Jimmy

Jimmy, KG2AU       <kg2au@stny.lrun.com>

From: Ron Wetjen <wd4ahz@arrl.net> (Ron Wetjen)
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Put oyur CAC rep to work....

One of my contest idols, Jim White, K4OJ wrote:

> There is nothing more frustrating than hearing someone bitch about
> something they haven't even taken the time to address "management"
> about

Well, that's exactly the point.  If "management" (CAC) has a proposal
for a rules change, and it's not put on the table for us to see, how can
we comment on something we don't know about?  If one guy (the person who
originally suggested the change), writes in and says "What a GREAT
idea!" ... and no one else comments on it (since we don't know anything
about it), it goes through?  That's when the complaining starts ... too
late and after the change ... not because we didn't write ... but
because we didn't know what to write about!

Something as simple as:

These items are being considered by the CAC.

     1) Blah, blah, blah
     2) Blah, blah, blah

Send your comments to your CAC representitive.

This would let EVERYONE know what's going on, when to send comments to
our CAC representitive, and there wouldn't be these "surprise" rule
changes, that seem to come out of nowhere!

Heck Jim, even WE asked for input when we worked on some minor
"tweaking" of the FQP rules for 1999 ... and we got lot's of great ideas
(most of which we used!)

73, Ron

--
One of the W1AW/4 Crew - IARU/WRTC-2000