[CQ-Contest] ARRL 10 Meter Not-In-Log

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL 10 Meter Not-In-Log
From: n0ss@earthlink.net (Tom Hammond - N0SS)
Date: Mon Aug 9 11:00:22 1999

Martin:

>ZL1ANJ log:  12-Dec-98 0115UTC 10M SSB K2BA  sent 59 198 received 59 OK

>>From Bert K2BA:
>> Hi Martin, I checked your qso and I have the exact information you
>> show below. I then looked at the log I submitted. I only entered the cw
>> category (made a limited effort of 8 hours) and thus only sent the cw log.
>> I made 3 qso's on SSB and have them in my station log only. Looked at the
>> ARRL rules and don't think this is a violation but it sure makes a problem
>> for the log checkers. Hope this helps. 73, Bert K2BA

>Could the first one be an INVALID QSO for which no penalties are assessed?

I think I'd perhaps be a bit more concerned about the second one, because
I suspect that more folks might be hurt by the fact that other operators,
although they operated both modes, only sent in a log for the mode in
which they performed the best.

This is NOT to say that Bert did ANYTHING wrong... he DIDN'T, at least
as far as I can tell.  But the fact remains that there is a strong
possibility that others could suffer as a result of a number of ops
doing the same thing.

It would seem that the more 'proper' way to handle such a problem might
be for ANY operator who operates both modes and then turns in only one
of the two modes for scoring to turn in the OTHER (non-competitive)
log as a check log, so that those he worked would at least have an
opportunity to appear in the log, rather than being counted as NIL
an therefore be punished for no real wrongdoing.

And the log checkers are doing their job, given the data which they
have been provided.  If they don't receive ALL logs, they'll never
have a clue whether the station was really worked or not.

73 - Tom Hammond   N0SS