[CQ-Contest] Log Check = Frankenstein

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Log Check = Frankenstein
From: k2av@qsl.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Tue Aug 10 22:40:39 1999
I understand that sentiment all too well. I have been (really) poor in
my lifetime. It is a question of how many, and how many of these have
some access to a pc to create a log file.

I would really like to know how many ham contester households have a
PC in the house, albeit just a PC for word processor and internet,
physically separate from the ham shack so everyone can use it. The
question I have here is whether the ham operator in such a household
should convert his own paper log to a computer format on the PC over
in the next room, or instead lean on a contest scorer volunteer to do
it for him.

And then what about the guy that owns a late model Kenwood, a kilowatt
amp, tribander, and just doesn't want to bother with the computer.

TRLOG will run on DOS 5.0 on a 386 PC that you can't even use for
current windows. Anyone who belongs to a US contest club can probably
get one given to them with a 40 meg hard disk on it that isn't big
enough for windows or just about any game. There are tons of these
laying around gathering dust because you can't run win95 or doom on
it. You can even use a monochrome monitor with it. I could probably
outfit three destitute hams out of my junk myself. Bet PVRC or a
similar size contesting club could fix up a hundred hams if they
worked at it.

Again, I understand your sentiment, but how relevant is it really,
*now*. Or is it really an unwillingness to move to electronic medium.

73 y'all,  Guy

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:22:52 EDT, you wrote:

>In a message dated 08/10/1999 9:00:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time, k2av@qsl.net
>writes:
>
><< Beyond that we still allow paper logs to be competitive, and force
> contest scorers to spend a lot of time manually entering the log to
> the computer for the contester who (was too lazy to?) didn't go
> somewhere to type it in himself.
>  >>
>You might consider that there are many who unfortunately may not be able to
>afford some of the nice "extras" that many of us have at our disposal. It may
>not be that they are lazy, but just do not have resources.
>Bob

73, Guy
--. .-..

Guy Olinger, K2AV