[CQ-Contest] ARRL 10 Meter Not-In-Log

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL 10 Meter Not-In-Log
From: jmellis@ihug.co.nz (Martin Ellis)
Date: Tue Aug 10 00:47:42 1999
Good morning,
I got my scoring report from K8CC and was concerned to find
6 Not-In-Log QSOs.  These will each incur a penalty of three
equivalent QSOs.

I wish to improve my accuracy in future contests, so I would
like to ask for advice from more experienced contesters - given the
facts below, what can I do to avoid these losses in the future?

I have contacted two of these contesters who are Not-In-Log and
asked them to have a look in their log for the same date and time.
Here are the replies so far:

ZL1ANJ log: 12-Dec-98 2338UTC 10M SSB K1TTT sent 59 1008 received 59 MA

>From Dave K1TTT:
> apparent copy error on this side.  the operator that did that from
> here is usually pretty good, but he sure messed up that one.
>  10  SSB 12/12/98 2339 1231  ZL1HA   59  MA    59  1008    2  0

ZL1ANJ log:  12-Dec-98 0115UTC 10M SSB K2BA  sent 59 198 received 59 OK

>From Bert K2BA:
> Hi Martin, I checked your qso and I have the exact information you
> show below. I then looked at the log I submitted. I only entered the cw
> category (made a limited effort of 8 hours) and thus only sent the cw log.
> I made 3 qso's on SSB and have them in my station log only. Looked at the
> ARRL rules and don't think this is a violation but it sure makes a problem
> for the log checkers. Hope this helps. 73, Bert K2BA

Could the first one be an INVALID QSO for which no penalties are assessed?

Regards,
Martin Zl1ANJ