[CQ-Contest] Grid Square Contest

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Grid Square Contest
From: kq2m@mags.net (Robert L. Shohet)
Date: Mon Aug 23 12:15:04 1999
Guys,

Why NOT have a Grid Square contest for HF?  I agree with Kelly, VE4XT.
It should be a NEW contest and not alter the rules of an existing one.

23 years ago the "Bicentennial Contest" was born which became incredibly
popular with DX stations (more so than the US), was renamed "Radiosport"
and ultimtely of course became IARU (with a few rules changes).

Yes I know that some guys object to a contest with "a ridculous amount
of mults" but I personally believe that if we want to attract rare and
remote stations then distance based scoring is a great idea.  This is
part of what makes the Stew Perry contest so interesting and popular and
generates activity from stations we otherwise might never hear.

I think that either mid-April or late September would be a great time
for this event given the usually excellent worldwide propagation around
the equinoxes.  (I am not a fan of annual contests operated when the low
band qrn is painful to listen to).

Yes I realize that the contest calendar is already chock-full of
operating events, but not of this type, and that is a large part of the
appeal (to me anyway).  A worldwide contest (maybe 24 hours?) where
distance based scoring is the key.  Just to make it even more
interesting, why not add a multiplier of some sort to reward low band
contacts?  Say 1.25x for 40, 1.5x for 80 and 2.0x for 160?
If there is any objection to counting Grid-squares as mults, then how
about a "points-only" contest with qso points x distance between
grid-squares and then multiplied by a band-multiplier like I have
suggested above.

Eother approach would encourage even more all-band activity and bump the
qso totals and rates (and/or mults) even more.  This approach has been
quite successful in WPX and WAE.

Anyone interested in sponoring such an event?

73

Bob KQ2M