[CQ-Contest] A New Grid Square Contest?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] A New Grid Square Contest?
From: kq2m@mags.net (Robert L. Shohet)
Date: Tue Aug 24 11:44:33 1999

I was surprised to learn of existing grid-square contests for HF but
because my "radio-time" is so severly limited by my businesses and now a
newborn daughter, it makes sense that I was unaware.

HOWEVER, one thing which is obvious, is that for a contest to become a
"major one" it needs four things:

1) A unique purpose and contest exchange
2) Lots of active contesters & casual participants who are willing to
give it a try
3) Sponsorship by a major organization and/or dedicated group of people
and,
4) Contest at a time of year with good propagation

There is no doubt why WAE, WPX, ARRL, CQWW, IARU are so successful.
The fact that NAQP and the Sprints (and many others smaller contests)
are so successful is because of a group of highly motivated and
dedicated people who are doing it on their own without help from a major
magazine based on an interesting contesting challenge.

My gut feeling is that a new HF grid square contest in April/September
time frame would succeed becuase of good interest, good propagation,
uniqueness of purpose and worldwide activity.  The real question is
whether there is a group of guys out there or a radio club who is
willing to give this a try?  I guess it is too much to ask for ARRL or
CQ sponsorship, but that IMHO would clearly "Put it over the top".

Is there anyone out there willing to give this a shot?

73

Bob KQ2M