[CQ-Contest] How to Handle 40M during CQWW?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] How to Handle 40M during CQWW?
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Tue Oct 26 16:30:04 1999
On 10/26/99 13:27, Jeffrey Short at jshort@mindspring.com wrote:

>       1) For multi's, do you run alot on 40?  Hunt and pounce?  Or
>split 50-50?

First of all, you didn't say WHICH CQWW mode you were operating. CW or
SSB? Makes a big difference.

On CW, you should be able to run 40m much like any other band.

On SSB, welcome to the world of Split. You'll be doing mostly hunt and
pounce, maybe a bit of running if you are lucky.

>       2) It seems on the higher bands that "the rest of the world"
>basically uses the same frequencies.  However on 40, I know that
>you have the DX windows...

No, there aren't DX windows, per se. It's just that 40m is a different
band in different parts of the world. The ITU divides the world into
three regions. Region 1 is Europe and Africa, Region 2 is North and South
America and Region 3 is everything else (more or less).

In Region 2 and 3, 40m goes from 7.0 to 7.3 MHz. In Region 1 however, 40m
is 7.0 to 7.1 MHz. In a CW contest, you'll see all 40m activity in the
first 100 kHz, with most of it at the bottom of the band. On SSB, just
about all the Region 2 and 3 stations will run down to the low end of the
band, because that's where all the Region 1 folks are. The problem is, if
you happen to be a Region 2 station in the US, you CAN NOT operate SSB
from 7.0 to 7.1 MHz. So, you have to call on a frequency above 7.15 and
listen below 7.1 MHz. It is called split.

>With that in mind, how do you handle
>runs?  Do you listen on both your frequency and a frequency that is
>in the window "at the same time"?  Or do you switch off between
>both frequencies (making sure that you don't transmit on 7050 and
>listen...u get the idea!)?

This mode of operation is called split. Usually you'll listen on a
frequency below 7.1 MHz, and transmit above 7.15 MHz. Stations doing this
while calling CQ will announce their listening frequency. Some stations
have fancy transceivers with dual receive (FT1000MP, Icom 756, etc) and
may be listening on BOTH calling and listening frequencies.

One thing you need to be prepared for when operating CQWW on SSB is the
abject frustration of hearing good, juicy DX stations calling CQ
endlessly while listening simplex. Some operators give in to the
temptation and transmit crys of frustration out of band. Don't give in to
that temptation. Be strong.

>       3) Is there anything that I should be "looking out for" while
>doing the graveyard shift on 40?  A particular direction that I should
>be listening to...do I need to follow the sunrise for "good"
>propagation?  etc...

40m shares some of the characteristics of a "nighttime" band like 80m,
and some of the "daytime" band. I'd talk to your band captain -- he'll be
able to give you good advise on what you expect from your location.

>       4) Any other tips for a newbie?  Any particular websites that
>are "godsends" for the contesting newbie (after all, we were all
>newbies at one time or another)?

When you aren't operating 40m, listen to the other operators. If you can
gang on a second set of phones, listen in to their technique. On your off
times, ask questions of those not operating.

http://www.contesting.com has a lot of good stuff about contesting, as
well as links to other sites.

I hope this helps.

(40m 2nd operator at NQ4I M/M - CQWW SSB 97, CQWW SSB 98)

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales