[CQ-Contest] Results of Informal Headphone Survey

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Results of Informal Headphone Survey
From: w2gd@hotmail.com (John Crovelli)
Date: Fri Oct 29 06:04:31 1999
A few weeks ago I asked for help selecting a new set of headphones.  Thanks
go to K1EP, N0AX, K2WR, K6LA, W6RGG, N5NJ, K4ZA, VE3ZT, KG5U, K7SS, N6TJ,
K3PP and KR6X for your responses.

There is no clear winner in this very unstructured survey.  Heil (Proset and
other models) seem to command the largest part of the market but there are
several other products that have strong advocates.

Heil Proset
Fostex T-20 was mentioned by several.
Kenwood HS-5
Icom HP-1
Sony MDR 7506
Sennheiser

The attributes most often cited were comfort and audio quality.  Some seem
to provide better audio for phone (Heil) while others are better suited for
cw since their range is more limited (Sony, Kenwood, Icom).

No clear winner.  It was mentioned by several that Heil has been cooperative
in repairing Prosets, which most often fail at the pivot point.

K2WR suggests using a hard plastic carrying case to protect your cans from
damage in transit.

KR6X did a search using the egroups.com search tool and passes along the
following:

I looked for some headphone posts using the built-in search tool on thesite
and came up with these.  By the way, the TenTec headphones stuff may be
TenTec specific info --how to get a pair of headphones that won't play noise
from the uP in the rig-- and there is FT1000 specific stuff also -- low
audio levels at theFT1000 earphone connector.  There is also some info about
using a Radio Shack headset with Heil boom mic. parts., but the main info
came fromresponses to
a Brian Breezley
question...http://www.contesting.com/_cq-contest/9508/0399.html

http://www.contesting.com/_cq-contest/9501/0233.html
http://www.contesting.com/_cq-contest/9501/0068.html
http://www.contesting.com/_cq-contest/9508/0282.html
http://www.contesting.com/_cq-contest/9405/0136.html
http://www.contesting.com/_cq-contest/9508/0218.html
http://www.contesting.com/_cq-contest/9508/0945.html
http://www.contesting.com/_cq-contest/9508/0972.html
http://www.contesting.com/_cq-contest/9508/0952.html
http://www.contesting.com/_cq-contest/9405/0138.html
http://www.contesting.com/_tentec/9802/0118.html
http://www.contesting.com/_tentec/9802/0152.html
http://www.contesting.com/_tentec/9802/0116.html
http://www.contesting.com/_tentec/9606/0084.html
http://www.contesting.com/_cq-contest/9412/0536.html
http://www.contesting.com/_tentec/9808/0257.html
http://www.contesting.com/_towertalk/9806/0249.html
http://www.contesting.com/_towertalk/9806/0197.html

I hope this information helps others.  Good luck to all this contest season.

73,   John W2GD/P40W