[CQ-Contest] Diode RFI

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Diode RFI
From: tgstewart@pepco.com (tgstewart@pepco.com)
Date: Mon Dec 6 10:20:39 1999
I think some people dont realize that one of the biggest contributors to station
interference is your house wiring.  Your house wiring is a big antenna and if
you let any RF leak across "the bridge" between it and your station equipment,
you are asking for trouble.

You can solve lots of possible troubles simply by using RF filtered power strips
on all your equipment.  This will catch most bad power supplies, etc., in the
bud.

Also be sure that your computer power supplies have CE or FCC or UL (CE is the
best safeguard) stickers on them.  Some el cheapo cases come with unrated power
supplies with no AC lead filtering!  This will pollute your RF environment for
sure.

Wallpack power cubes with DC outputs are notorious for producing noise from
unbypassed diodes.  Plugging these into a filtered strip will reduce radiated
noise considerably.  Adding ferrite to the output lead is probably a good idea
for those with trouble, but doing surgery with bypass caps is the best solution.