[CQ-Contest] Re:10m test

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re:10m test
From: w9wi@bellsouth.net (Doug Smith)
Date: Wed Dec 15 05:38:13 1999
> If I hear a signal that sounds like cr*p, should I inform its owner? For
> example, this weekend there was a LOUD CW signal out of 6 land that sounded
> like
> a chainsaw with a keyer. I was seriously tempted to send him a 595 to let him
> know that he had a problem. I'd want to know if my signal sounded that bad.

I would certainly hope so.  If I work someone who's substantially short
of T9 (or has other obvious signal problems) I do try to give an honest
report.

Even outside of contests, hams seem to be too unwilling to mention
signal flaws...  I just returned from a week-long trip through the
Atlantic Seaboard, with a 3-watt 20m rig on the passenger seat &
inadequate filtering of the DC power.  Made 25 QSOs.  All but two gave
me a T9 report.  The other two informed me there was an obvious
problem...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66