[CQ-Contest] Stew (and categories)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Stew (and categories)
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Mon Dec 20 09:20:01 1999
W4AN writes:

<>

I will second (and third that), the whole premise is against the logic of
competition - pushing the envelope, striving for max. It is like having Indy
500 admitting bicycles and skateboards, giving them multiplier of 50 and 100
resp. Listing the scores together and making the QRPer win the contest,
taking free ride on them high and low power guys is contrary to the spirit of
competition. (Or should we all enter as QRPers and have "fun"?)
    Another "thing" that seems to be happening in contesting is the use of
superstations entering the single op or single band categories, as well as
some of top guns entering QRP categories. It is not against the rules, but I
feel that superstations should be used for what they were built for - multi
categories or the owner using it and entering as a single op. Also entering
QRP category for the sake of showing off that you can cream them life long
QRPers, is like Muhammad Ali showing up at the regional boxing championship
and beating up the local guys. Same for the low power category. Personally if
I achieved the level of placing in top ten, and competitive station setup, I
wouldn't enter QRP category or low power (unless I was Italian limited to
300W :-). I prefer to compete in the highest, most difficult or competitive
category I can qualify for. Live it to the guys that are "stuck" in those
categories because of their limitations, let them fight amongst themeselves.
Or are we into "politically correct" crap, like listing QRP and lower power
first in the listings and records?
    For those aspiring and looking for the real contest, please check the
Tesla World Cup 2000 page (http://members.aol.com/k3bu/TeslaRC.htm). Rules
are being finalized and we will enter now promotion phase and we believe that
this contest will answer many burning concerns about contesting and be worthy
of name of the greatest engineering genius that gave us electricity and radio
communications. We are still looking for area directors and trophy sponsors.

Have a Mery Christmass and very Happy and Competitive New Year 2k!

Yuri Blanarovich
K3BU, VE3BMV, VE1BY (VC1A@VE1ZZ)
http://members.aol.com/k3bu