[CQ-Contest] Monitor Woes - Yes, but . . .

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Monitor Woes - Yes, but . . .
From: k1ir@designet.com (Jim Idelson)
Date: Thu Jan 20 16:05:13 2000
Those stand-alone LCD displays sure are expensive, but there is an alternative.
We completely avoided both pickup and emissions problems from monitors in our
CQWW CW multi-single operation here at K1IR by using laptops for all three
operating positions. In fact, there had been some substantial monitor noise
problems previously, and this approach made those problems go away entirely.
The laptops were all older 486 machines. We set them up in a "desktop"
configuration with external keyboard and mouse, so operation was very friendly.

If you're running DOS logging software, you get a good solution with the laptop
- you can see everything that you would normally see on the CRT. If you run
Windows at any reasonable resolution, you will most likely have to settle for
lower resolution on the laptop - and a smaller screen . . . but you'll be
RFI-free!

73,

Jim K1IR