[CQ-Contest] CQ WW 160 CW

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW 160 CW
From: k8cc@mediaone.net (k8cc)
Date: Sat Jan 22 13:18:14 2000
I have to concur with Bruce, ZF2NT.  DX is relative, so at one time or
another we all are DX.

IF we are to accept the concept of a DX window, exactly *WHERE* is it?  For
many years it was 1825-1830.  Then, when certain DX countries made 1830-1850
available for amateurs, the DXers wanted that to be the DX window.

A fundamental part of the DX window concept was split frequency operation.
When a DX station sits in the window and listens outside the window, you
have the ideal situation for making QSOs quickly.  However, in a contest the
DX stations rarely do that except when compelled to by frequency
restrictions (i.e., the JAs). With the intense competition for frequencies
in a 160 contest, perhaps this is understandable.  However, without split
frequency operation a DX window simply offers a nice clear place to start a
roaring zero-beat pileup, so the point is lost.

73,

Dave/K8CC