[CQ-Contest] Foot Switches

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Foot Switches
From: rhodes@willinet.net (Jim Rhodes)
Date: Thu Feb 3 15:08:48 2000
I have to admit to a decidedly low tech approach here. I never liked
little, foot sized pedals. My feet aren't that big, but I have very little
sensation in them. What I did here is to take a couple of pieces of 1/2"
plywood about a foot long and 10" wide, hinge them along one side and
mounted a starter switch (come on, I'm not the only one who remembers when
cars had foot actuated starter switches am I?) on the bottom piece of
plywood. Lacking an adaptable spring, I rolled up a couple of pieces of
foam rubber and stuck it in between to assist the spring in the switch. I
don't have to worry about kicking it out of reach, I can come at it from
most any angle and the switch would probably handle the output of the
4-1000 so it should last forever in this application. I have thought many
times about upgrading it, but hey, it ain't broke, don't fix it.

At 11:04 AM 02/02/2000 -1000, you wrote:

>I find using the Heil footswitch,  that it is
>not comfortable.  My ankle seems always
>raised,  even while transmitting.  I would think
>after a few hours,  you could not operate the
>footswitch anymore!  Now,  maybe if the foot
>pedal were somehow lower than your heel level
>it wouldn't be bad.  Has anyone fixed up a "special"
>fixture for heel,  ankle position placement using a
>foot switch for long periods,  as in an SSB contest?
>
>Maybe it is just me,  hi.
>
>73,  Jim,  KH7M
>

>--
>CQ-Contest on WWW:        http://www.contesting.com/_cq-contest/