[CQ-Contest] Does might make right in contesting?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Does might make right in contesting?
From: w8ik@arrl.net (Joe Subich, W8IK)
Date: Fri Feb 25 09:00:39 2000
> From: K4RO Kirk Pickering
>
> The question is simple: is it OK to take a frequency from someone?

No ... Amateur frequencies are non-assigned (except for mode limitations)
and usage is "first come first served."  It is incumbent on the operator,
even the operator of the mega-stations to listen long enough to be sure
the frequency is not in use before jumping in.

We all know the megawatt stations run by operators with picowatt ethics ...

> Are there times when it is OK and times when it is not?  Please explain.

No, it is not acceptable at any time.  That said ... if a SOnR operator
leaves a frequency long enough to work a station or two on an alternate
radio, the frequency is open and "fair game."  A single operator, can not
expect to "occupy" three or four frequencies simultaneously.

> Are there "prime areas" where it is acceptable, and areas where it is not?

> Is courtesy an issue in contesting?

It most certainly should be ... although courtesy cannot be legislated
any more than ethics or morality.

The answer to the rest of your questions (NO!) flow from these ...

73,
   ... Joe Subich, W8IK/4
       <W8IK@ARRL.NET>