[CQ-Contest] Does might make right

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Does might make right
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 09:22:16 2000
I operated the CQ 160SSB Contest last weekend multiop at K5KG in Northern NJ.
It shed some new light on why I contest.

>From that location, just the local 1's, 2's and 3's covered 1.8 to 1.9 MHz
with signals of 20 over S9 and above. Hearing weak stations was mostly an
exercise of nulling out splatter from adjacent stations. Finding a hole to CQ
was even more challenging.

At least five times that I recall, I found a "hole", ran three or four
stations, then an 20 over S9 signal would come on zero beat and claim "Hey,
this frequency is in use." In use, indeed. The guy was gone just long enough
for a potty break and a coffee refill and expected the deed to the frequency
was still in his name.

I'd push the CQ button a few times and then choose to move on because my
purpose was to enjoy myself (on 160SSB?) and score well, not to develop a
dose of "band rage." Those who compete "to kill" have far different
motivations from those of us who compete to self-improve and HAVE FUN!

Give FUN a try. You'll feel better in the morning.

Tom, K5RC