[CQ-Contest] SOC Explanation

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SOC Explanation
From: n4bp@bc.seflin.org (Bob Patten)
Date: Thu Mar 9 03:57:50 2000
I'm posting this at the risk of inserting my foot even further into
mouth, a talent for which I'm infinitely qualified.

Yesterday, I posted some information about the newly formed "Second Class
Operator's Club" along with the rules for the first running of their sprint.
This group was started as a gag with no expectation that the idea would
catch on as it did!  It was most certainly NOT meant as a slam against
the First Class Operator's Club!  I know many members of FOC and have
great respect for them as the first class operators that they are.
One premise of SOC is that there are no restrictions for membership as in
FOC.  I've since been informed that FOC has been short of their 500
member limit for some time.  For SOC, there are no requirments for
nomination as in FOC.  The SOC membership has been recruited nearly 100%
from the QRP community on the QRP-L reflector.

I should probably not have posted anything regarding SOC to this
reflector and, if I have offended anyone, I humbly apologize.  Again,
this was started as a gag, but has caught on to the tune of nearly 300
members, many of whom are enthusiastic about club activities.

           73,
                                   ,'' '',
     Bob Patten, N4BP              ( 0 0 )               Plantation, FL

                         E-Mail: n4bp@bc.seflin.org
                     Web Page: http://www.qsl.net/n4bp
                     Brass Pounder BBS: (954) 472-7715
                           SOC #1       Whiners #6