[CQ-Contest] hum

Subject: [CQ-Contest] hum
From: WLawless@analogic.com (Lawless, William)
Date: Thu Mar 9 13:05:50 2000
I've encountered hum twice with 2 DVKs:  MFJ-432 & recently MFJ-434.

MFJ-432 was a ground loop through the 12v supply line from an Astron supply
feeding rig (IC-706 MK2) and MFJ-432.  Solved by using a plug-in-the-wall AC/DC
adapter to power DVK.

Recent hum was lack of ground on MFJ-434, which has a ground terminal (screw
with wing nut).  Grounding solved problem.  FYI - I was using both MFJ-432 &
MFJ-434 in series... both worked OK.

Makes me wonder if MFJ-432 couldn't perhaps benefit from an earth ground to its
chassis??

Tips:
1. Run DVKs off the internal back-up battery... if no hum, you know its power
supply related.
2. Record message with no connections other than microphone.  Play through
radio & listen.
3. Compare using the built-in mic; if no hum this way but hum with tip #2, then
it's in mic.
4. Simplify connections and nibble away.

Bill  KA1UQ