[CQ-Contest] [Fwd: [FCG] We had 1200 entrants and 1199 categories, our a

Subject: [CQ-Contest] [Fwd: [FCG] We had 1200 entrants and 1199 categories, our apologies to the guy who lost...]
From: merceret@flatoday.infi.net (Francis J. Merceret)
Date: Thu Mar 16 11:00:14 2000
--------------B4FB0AD9F4AD2812EEFDC89C

Sorry for the typo in the first try address!
--------------B4FB0AD9F4AD2812EEFDC89C

From: "Francis J. Merceret" <merceret@flatoday.infi.net>
To: K4OJ <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>
CC: mgilmer@gnlp.com, cq-contest@contesing.com
Subject: Re: [FCG] We had 1200 entrants and 1199 categories, our apologies to
the guy who lost...

I would like to express a "concurring opinion" regarding the specific
Sweepstakes proposal while storngly disagreeing with the generic comment
about categories.

I don't believe the "Sunday Sprint" category is likely to attract a
significant number of new operators, which is its announced purpose.  It
will probably pull some folks OUT of the Saturday effort, and thus be
counter-productive as Jim argues. I agree with that portion of his
argument and that's enough reason to oppose the plan.

I strongly disagree with Jim's argument about categories, however.  One
of my main gripes against the ARRL (and reasons I prefer CQ contests) is
the presence in CQ contests and absense in ARRL contests of single band
QRP categories.  I have a decent antenna on only one band - 15m.  And I
cannot compete with K1TO or K4OJ head to head on any band in the
hi-power category because I simply lack the time, money or permission
from the county zoning authorities to build antennas to compete with
these giants. (My tower is 30 feet.  Can't go higher without a zoning
waiver from the County Commission which any single neighbor within 500
feet can veto - cost - $500 to apply for hearing, whether waiver granted
or not).

Jim may not care about the wall paper.  I do.  If I thought I could
never find a category I had some chance of winning, I would not
seriously contest.  I would play a bit, because it is fun -- and it
helps my DXCC totals-- but WINNING IS IMPORTANT.  It is the possibility
(not certainty) of winning that makes it worth the physical and mental
(and sometimes emotional, when family issues get involved) challenge to
participate full-bore in a lot of major contests.

I am only an adequate hi-power op because I don't have those superb
"ears" that the great ones do -- but I am a damned fine QRP operator --
I know how to get heard even when I'm weak.  I don't consider
approaching half a million points on a single band running 4.5 watts in
the WPX to be a "cheap" win. I'm as proud of my QRP single band wins as
Jim is (and deserves to be) of his Hi-power all band wins.

We can't all own multiple 100+ foot towers with stacked arrays and
alphas for every band.  The "tri-bander and wire" category was a stroke
of genius (and fairness) long overdue in contesting.  Ditto "Rookie". I
encourage RELEVENT new categories in all contests -- lets attract some
new folks not just as participating spectators, but as serious
contestents.  Motor sports has categories for everything from small
motor bikes to Indy cars - and no one "disses" the other's
achievements.  Ham radio can learn from that!

Thanks for the opportunity to comment!

73'
Frank
NA4CW