[CQ-Contest] CW County Hunter Contest

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CW County Hunter Contest
From: k5iid@hiperline.net (Tom Horton)
Date: Wed May 3 15:03:00 2000
Contesters:
 This weekend is the MARAC county hunter CW contest...This usually proves to
be a lot of fun.
 There should be lots of mobiles out giving out the rare and not-so-rare
counties...
CQ and QST have the details...
Come on in the water is fine.
73, Tom K5IID

Tom Horton   K5IID
in "Wild, Wonderful West Virginia"

From: Igor Sokolov" <ua9cdc@dialup.mplik.ru (Igor Sokolov)
Subject: [CQ-Contest] When and why did rules change?

> "Tribander/Single Element (TS): Tribander (any type) with a single
> feedline from the transmitter to the antenna and single element (TS)
> category. During the contest, an entrant shall use only one (1) tribander
> for 10, 15, 20 meters and single-element antennas on 40, 80, and 160"
>
> I think this is an excellent set of rules, as it clearly defines the
> category without limiting its configuration.

That is pretty conditional. Is the 4 el 3 band quad with the band switching
near the boom would pass for a tribander? Is 4 wl per leg rhombic would
count as a single element.

> category you've defined. Also, there's a huge difference between, say, a
> Butternut HF5B and a KT34XA, yet both are classified as tribanders.

Or A3S versus the stack of four X9?

It would be interesting to get a clear defenition of WHAT IS A TRIBANDER?
Can somobody give such a defenition?
So far I have managed to formulate it as follows: the antenna (single or
multy elements) fed with one coax that can be used on 3 bands where it has
the impeadance close to 50 ohm. On some of these 3 bands the spacing between
the elements is not optimum and the elements on some of these bands are
considerably shorter then half wl.
Is the above correct or am I missing something else which is important?

73,
Igor, UA9CDC