[CQ-Contest] SO2R IS A Seperate Entry Class

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SO2R IS A Seperate Entry Class
From: i4jmy@iol.it (i4jmy@iol.it)
Date: Thu Jun 1 17:14:50 2000
While I'm convinced two radios, and a smart and tailored setup when
used at best, can produce a significant difference and beat the
obtainable results of a single radio user in the same place, I'm not
convinced this has to lead by itself in issueing a new category whose
primary effect will be that to specialize competitors and effectively
dividing them (again) into smaller "rings".
Not counting that gamblers benefit a "tasty" opportunity each time a
limitation category is introduced, the established concept could be
that were each difference is unacceptable and, sooner or later, each
one of us will have the chance to win his own special contest category
because against nobody.
If a technical matter like a 2 radio leads to a separate category, also
a multiple antenna system or a separate aerial to transmit and receive
should be the reason to divide competitors into different, but
specialized, but omogeneous, categories.  On the other hand, why a
second radio is now a matter and a radio with a dual receiver, or
memories, (and zero time to switch and transmit since solid state has
no tuning) didn't ever make any difference ?
The point is another, let?s try to be honest with ourselves and not
demagogical.
If a tecnological/operational evolution is not any more the matter to
push amateur radio (and contester) in that direction (read: use two
radios if you want more points. / translation: follow the progress)
better we drop any of the knowdledges we pretend to have as amateur
radio operators and turn ourselves into an honest a group of mere
players of a game like many others.
Whatsoever the reason to follow such way, what's going to happen is
that we can start to sell all of our equipments and wait for an
internet contest symulator were all of us can choose what ever we want
to have and to be located, and finally discover, as soon as the contest
starts, we are all placed on EA8 land, with a multiple monobanders
stack on al bands and no other chance than having
like the idea ?

73,
Mauri I4JMY

Operators who
> are simultaneously using two radios have inherent and very
significant
> scoring  advantages over an operator who is using a single radio.
Since the
> nature of each style of operation is so different, drawing
comparisons (in
> terms of operator ability and final score) between the two is
essentially
> meaningless.  The difference in overall score generation capacities
between
> the two have reached the point where contest sponsors should take
action and
> finally recognize the difference, creating entry classes that are
more
> appropriate.
>
> The proliferation of SO2R operation has already created this division
on a
> defacto basis.  A void clearly exists where competitors who have
chosen not
> to make the hardware investment or to master the special operating
> techniques required for SO2R operation do not have an entry class
where they
> compete directly against true peers.  Scores of Single Operator
Single Radio
> (SOSR) competitors are listed along with SO2R entries, as if they are
equal,
> but obviously they are not.  There are fundamental differences.
>
> Not having a pure SOSR class can and probably does impact entry class
> selection by some operators (I am in this group).  Why beat your head
> against the wall with one radio if you know your score will likely be
lower
> than your peers who are using two radios to maximum advantage, but
both of
> you are supposedly equal entrants and your scores will appear in the
same
> competitive category.  It just ain't so!  To me the difference is
very
> clear.
>
> Barry (W2UP), thanks for raising the question.
topic
for