[CQ-Contest] SO2R "Time Element"

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SO2R "Time Element"
From: w7ti@jps.net (Bill Turner)
Date: Tue Jun 6 13:50:20 2000
----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Shohet <kq2m@mags.net>

> This SO2R "Time Element advantage" is NONSENSE!
>
> Bill if you are concerned about a "Time Advantage" that some stations
> have over others then why aren't you concerned about differences in
> antennas?  I could sit ALL DAY in the YA4A pileup in the CQWW CW contest
> on 10 meters and NEVER get through with my low wires.  Or I could spend
> 2 minutes getting through with the 4-stack that I now have.

I realize what you say about antenna differences is exactly right.  And I
have done the comparison you suggest:  In my Seattle QTH I had a 4-el
tribander and now in my So. Cal QTH I have inverted vees at 30 feet (for
now - the tower and beam are on the ground, soon to go up).

Just because ALL areas can not be equalized doesn't mean that SOME can't be.
After all, this is where high and low power and Multi- categories came from.
Long ago, people realized those are significant advantages and changed the
rules accordingly.  I just think the time is overdue for the two-radio
station as well.

And if you think the time element advantage is nonsense, then try
eliminating it during your next contest.  You wouldn't do it and neither
would I in your shoes.  It's REAL.

Bill, W7TI