[CQ-Contest] Can't We All Get Along

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Can't We All Get Along
From: K4WW@aol.com (K4WW@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jun 6 18:09:51 2000
I will take responsibility for starting this thread with a post on the WF1B
RTTY reflector, quoting from N2HOS Newsletter, "Jim's Gazette," regarding the
discussion and voting on establishing a "single operator/multiple radio"
category at the RTTY forum in Dayton.  What has been lost in most of the
discussion, is that I never attempted to discourage or eliminate the use of
multiple radio's in contesting.  I only attempted to separate those using
multiple radio's from the same category as those using a single radio.  I
admire, but don't envy, those using multiple radio's, but have neither the
desire or capability to do so.
Many have taken this as an infringement on their right to do as they please,
as long as they are within the rules.  At this point they are within the
rules!  There have been many references to "enforcement" of this rule change
proposal, and I don't believe that there is any more of an "enforcement"
problem with this than there is with "hi/low power" enforcement. Electronic
submission of logs makes it no longer necessary to "sign" the summary sheet,
and by not having to "sign" the summary has the "personal touch" of integrity
been lost? I have been in this game long enough to know that a "level playing
field" is about as impossible as putting toothpaste back in the tube!  I have
seen reference to automobile racing, I even made one about the 24 hours of
Daytona where different classes of cars race together, but race against only
those in their class.
I have seen this discussion deteriorate almost to the point that I have
forgotten the original reason for the discussion.  As one of our fellow
competitors pointed out: "opinions are like a part of our anatomy, we all
have one", and while I may not agree with them, I respect the right of all to
express them!
I have chosen to express my desires not only to the Great Lakes Division
Director, Great Lakes Assistant Director and ARRL Contest Director,
where I hope some sincere discussion, not only among them, but the
entire contest community will take place.  I propose that, instead of
continuing this discussion in an area where many are not in the least
interested, that all follow suit and make their wishes know to their
respective Division, and Assistant Division Directors!
Contrary to the beliefs of some, this is still a democracy, and I strongly
feel that the wishes of the majority should be adhered to, whether or not I
am part of that majority!
I certainly am not sorry that I started this discussion, as it is something
that I feel very strongly about.  I am only sorry that it has deteriorated
into some of the, IMHO, unnecessary "flamings"!
Shelby, K4WW