[CQ-Contest] Contest Station Design - cable management

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest Station Design - cable management
From: eric@k3na.org (Eric Scace)
Date: Wed Jan 24 21:27:05 2001
Some opinions from my experience:

1.  Documentation is important.  This includes cable labeling and a
description of the station cabling systems.
2.  Label both ends of the cable.  I found it useful to include in the
label on both ends:
    -- name of devices connected
    -- name of socket on each device (if more than one)
    -- name of device for which this end of the cable is applicable
    Example: "(this end) TS-940 ACC1 <--> TMC Amplifier #1 Keyline Input"
3.  For ports which have multi-pin connectors containing lots of control
lines, I use a short multi-conductor pigtail that brings
the port out to a breakout screw-terminal strip.  Each needed control line
can then be run separately from the screw terminal strip.
When you change transceivers (for example), it's a lot easier to reassemble
pigtails that rewire the shack.  I label the screw
terminal strip as well.
4.  Lines between screw terminal strips are cut to length.  Pigtails to
equipment are cut long enough to allow equipment to be
pulled out of the rack/desk, turned around/upside down, and maintained.
5.  I use lots of cable ties.  They are cheap in quantity -- a few cents
each.  I bundle all RF cables carrying transmit-level
signals together separately from all other lines.  Cable ties can be
anchored to the desk, wall, or floor by using little screw-down
"feet" that have slits which the cable tie slips through.  I've also used
hidden cable trays, but that's getting pretty fancy.  I'm
not the least bit reluctant to cut off 50 cable ties (cost = $1) and
replace them in order to change or add a cable to a bundle.
With care, cables can be assembled in the bundle so that each one runs
straight and is not twisted around others.  When a bundle
gets large (more than 5-10 cables, depending on size), it's easier to use
cable ties for sub-bundles of ~5-10 cables... and then
bind the whole collection of sub bundles together with a large fat cable
tie (which you will need fewer of).
    The end result is two large snakes that wander around the shack in
parallel (transmit RF coax, and all other lines), with little
arms that split off to terminal blocks... and one bundle of pigtails from
each box contain control/power lines... and another bundle
carrying the RF lines.

-- Eric